I was out there by my lonesome well before sunup. Water had great color and forecast for lite S wind was dead on.  Nothing doing till near the pumphouse. (Also finder was blank all morning.) All hits on sticks, mostly silver/black. Broke off what I expect was a king, brought in 2 skippy cohos, then an 8 lb brown. Finally a 16 lb king that almost spooled me, had to chase him down.

Fished 8-30 FOW but all the action was around 15 FOW.

Edited by seanymph25

I was out at first light and did well for the first 2 hours.  Many lost fish and those that I did land were hooked on the hind hook on the tip of their lips.  Hooked at least 3 chinooks, only landed one that was 32 inches.  I find that walleye boards don't do well with big fish.  They pop loose, slide down the line, and knock the fish off or make it very hard to reel them in with the added drag.  Will probably fabricate some boards and a mast in my shop eventually to be rid of that problem.  The lead core down the chute did pretty well.  That was my lightest rod and it was exciting playing the fish on it.  Used sticks on the toplines and a Mooslook taped orange on the lead core.  Action got very slow by the time it started raining.  Little flurry at the creek mouth as I was pondering coming in for the day.  Got a laker and missed another nice fish on the lead core before i quit at noon.  Ended with 9 netted, another half dozen missed, mixture of browns up to 27 inches, small coho, one 28 inch laker, and the 32 inch chinook.  Really enjoyable day on the water.  Not even that crowded despite the derby.  I was the 3rd or fourth boat to lauch, didn't have to wait at all. 

Pete Collin

post-140860-0-12818600-1399237164_thumb.jpg

Pete,

Use the mini boards and tie a barrel swivel about 6' up the line from the lure. Board will stop there and no more knockoffs. That or set the board not to release and take it off manually when you get it in.

I was the 2nd boat in so I'm guessing we talked. I've got the 16' sea nymph towed by a 2008 Nissan Xterra.

Was not crowded at the launch. I think the best thing is to get there in the dark because the slowpokes can't deal with it.

Still had the morons fishing off the launch ****ing about the boats bothering them. Why doesn't the DEC post a "No fishing allowed on the boat launch sign?" It's a boat launch, not a fishing pier. This has been a long standing problem at Sandy.

Seanymph,

I actually sympathize with the folks at the pier.  They want to fish Sandy, but NYS didn't provide the shorebound any access.  I'm polite and friendly to them, launch and take out efficiently, and the process goes smoothly without too many ruffled feathers.

Thanks for the planer board tips.

Pete

Edited by Pete Collin