2 stroke out board vs inboard

I had a 1975 115hp evenrude sold in 2000 no major problms. rep 1 ign mod.and spark plugs saw people watersking behind it in 2005 still running strong. bought a 1987 140hp io in 2000 replaced belllows,pistons,all bearings,engine coupler,head,exhaust/intake manifold,.020 over shop cost,eng. comp. vent moter,waterpump, thermostate,fuel filters,plugs,coil, just to name a few . plus winterize after every use in cold weather... but if i didnt love the boat id have gotten a new one now it almost is :roll: if ya got the option go with the outboard..my thoughts....................

Outboard vs straight inboard, I don’t know. But I’ve owned both I/O (Mercruiser) & outboard (Evinrude & Merc’). I'd go back to an I/O but ONLY if someone gave it to me AND my current 22 yr old 2-stroker fell off my transom in 300 FOW. (maybe over 280)

Knock on wood, the only thing I’ve had to do to it was replace two tilt modules plus the normal maintenance. I.E lower unit lube, plugs, occasional fuse. You do have to watch you’re oil mix with a 2-stroker though. 50-1 is too rich for a lot of idling & will foul you plugs after a few weekends. Of course they don’t make things like they used to anymore, with the new technology out there, who knows?

Come on Spring, This shoveling s()cks.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I loved my 2 strokes, but times are changing. As little oil they use now, where does it go? On the Kenai River, with all the outboards they use there, 2 strokes are being outlawed because of hydrocarbons in the water. With 4 strokes you drain the oil, 2 strokes it just goes away- somewhere and that is the problem. It's only a matter of time before the "Do-gooders" stop the 2 strokers. It's your money and if you're going to invest it in a new motor, buy something that won't be outlawed on your favorite waters soon.

Bellows last longer if you take care of them properly. By that I mean lowering your outdrive after each trip so that the bellows are not stretched out and exposed to the sun. The only time my outdrive is up is when I am towing the boat to the launch. Other than that, my outdrive is down.

My Dad just had to replace the bellows on his boat, a 1987 Sea Ray. His bellows were originals and lasted this long. They weren't even all that badly cracked. I think they lasted so long since he always lowers the outdrive after each use.

I know you're asking to compare I/O's and 2 stroke outboards, but if I were picking a new motor it would be a 4 stroke. I've owned almost every brand over the years and until this Honda, I would have said the "old" 170hp straight 4 cylinder I/O that Mercruiser actually built was the most "bulletproof" engine made. But.. they don't make it any more. Now they're all automotive engines adapted for marine use. This new Honda is a bit slower out of the hole than a 2 stroke, but it trolls all day with no noise, smoke and on very little gas. I'm sure that the Yamaha's and other 4 strokes are equally good, but I'll never go back to a 2 stroke! Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)