rigger rods and reels

I like the Ugly stik BW series for my down rigger rods. They are pretty durable . I have Tekotas and Catalina's that have been great but on the pricey side. Nothing wrong with convectors or even magdas. I have landed some of my biggest fish on those as opposed to the higher priced reels I have. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. I have friends who use and swear by Daiwas and Penns. They all have there pros and cons.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have the magdas 30 class. Only used them one summer so far and have only landed one salmon with them was a 27# king. No issues with the reel. If I were to fish lake o on a regular basis I most likely would have spent the money on remoras or coldwaters

For dipsy set ups we have been using Shimano Talora with Okuma Convector line counter reels. For the riggers we use Fenwick HMX rods with Shimano Charter Special Reels. Built to last, great lever drag system - hell one of our charter specials is like ten years old and not a thing wrong with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Daiwa sea line 47lc's and Cabelas depthmaster 7-1/2'M rods work well for me. I do like the heartlands and ugly sticks too.

Shawn

Edited by FX

I've used Daiwa Accudepth Plus 47 reels for 3 or 4 seasons and have put well over a 1,000 salmon in the boat with nary a hiccup. IMO, there is no better price/performance point. I like them more than Sealines for riggers (Sealines cost much more as well). A couple of my buddies use them on dipsies with no issue. Daiwa Heartland, Okuma and Ugli Sticks are all great rods. I've had some problems with Okuma Blue Diamond  but, the less expensive GLT rods have been faultless. 

About 35 years ago I built my own downrigger rods using Fenwick 9wt fly rod blanks and they're just as good today. For a good number of years now I've had my Islander MR2 & MR3 mooching reels. Since using these reels I don't care if I ever use another level wind again! They're a fantastic reel!

• 3 weeks later...

About 35 years ago I built my own downrigger rods using Fenwick 9wt fly rod blanks and they're just as good today. For a good number of years now I've had my Islander MR2 & MR3 mooching reels. Since using these reels I don't care if I ever use another level wind again! They're a fantastic reel!