Grounding problem?

Been having some "weird" stuff happening with electronics on the boat. ( erratic readings on my tach. VHF radio not receiving much traffic, gas gage not working (only when the rank is full), bad temp reading on my fish finder, engine has a slight surging up and down at trolling speed and probably a couple of things I can 't think of now. I suspect it might be a grounding issue. Is there an easy check for this?

Start with cables. Then ground contact. Then positive contacts on starter and alternator. Pending on drive units, check for an appropriate ground strap from block to gimbal housing.

These would be the order I go. Should only take a few minutes. If you see any green connections. Clean then and install

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm having similar issue, my swim aldder and lower outboard are energized and will shock you if you touch, any ideas!?

Make sure everything is grounded properly.  I had my throttle whack me once because of a frayed wire.

• 3 weeks later...

Bad Habit, start from scratch. Disconnect batteries first. Work your way from the battery cables and any connectors by cleaning all terminals. If you are using any crimp connectors, cut them off, strip the wires solder and heat shrink them..go all the way up the line to dash controls/gauges and any peripheral electronics connectors. Sometimes it's just easy and more assuring to re-do than Band-Aid. 

As for your engine surging, depending on which type of engine (Outboard Electric Start or inboard/outboard, the battery connections can have 0 effect to huge effects on engine performance depending on what your running engine wise.

Think one of the bigger clues to your electrical troubles is the fuel gauge as the more fuel in the tank, the more ground is being sent to the gauge.

Red Squirrels!!!!!! The damn things caused me a load of grief. They love to chew on wires. I have a few hickory trees near my place and they are all over. I have caught them in my boat and under the hood of my car. Had to rip all the wiring out of the boat and rewire. Various chew marks and bare wires all over. More things not working every season. The grey squirrels don't seem to bother. Now, if it is red it is dead.