2014 Starweld/Starcraft gas tank issue

I have a new 2014 Starweld 1800 DC and the inlet for the gas tank is located in the splashwell. When I tried to put gas in, it does not go down the tube that is connected to the tank. The gas fills up in the tube and the gas pump stops pumping because it thinks the tank is full.  There is a white plastic flap or cover about half way down the gas tank tube. I am not sure how to open up this flap to let gas in. My dealer said it was the way that new tanks are designed for the EPA and to just keep trying to add gas and it will go in. He said it will be a pain the first few fill ups and they have had a lot of complaints about the new tanks for the last year or so.  Wondering if any other Starcraft/Starweld or new boat owners have experienced this and have any advice. Cost me the weekend of fishing trying to get my tanked filled up. Damn EPA :headbang:

Try putting it in slow.  I have to do that on my boat because of the turns in the hose.  It makes it hard for the gas to make it down into the tank.  

How deep in is the flap?  Could a long funnel push it out of the way and allow better flow?

I am going to try tonight again to see if this is a flap. I was afraid to force something down the tube unless there was a lever or switch I was missing. My dealer said this is a major pain for them. I may have  to attach a hose to the gas station pump or use a funnel. Hope this gets easier over time but right now this is a major pain.

I just filled my 210 Fishmaster for the 1st time and it took a long time to fill it , I pulled the end of the gas hose up afew inches and I could put it in a TAD faster not much...... will have to check out what you just said and see what I can see.................thanks...... If I figure out a better way I'll post it up............

Just looked at it and ????  

post-139487-0-13612300-1399302033_thumb.jpg

post-139487-0-92504400-1399302051_thumb.jpg

post-139487-0-76829100-1399302066_thumb.jpg

Would the vent being tight cause that ????

Edited by ERABBIT

Erabbit,

That is what the dealer suggested and said it may have to vent for a while before filling it. Hoping this is all that it is. He thought maybe being empty built up a lot of pressure in the tank. My concern is that if this doesn't get better filling it up that is going to drive me crazy filling up at the marina when I am on vacation.

I agree with you on that , my tank had about 5 or so gals in it I put 46.7 gals in hold 52....I just put a bright light that I use to charge lures but could not see any thing down in the fill line......... the pressure in the tank should have been released when we opened the cap to fill it !!!!  I was thinking with a tight fit with the hose I was causing a seal...... better keep that AIR-TIGHT vent in mind , best loosen a tad before launching on the water...........may vapor lock and stall motor for lack of gas!!!!!

I didn't realize you guys were able to seal the vent.  That would be the reason why it isn't filling right. try opening the vent then fill it. I am willing to bet it will work a lot better.  On my boat the vent isn't sealed and allows the tank to "breath" at all times.

Edited by Chas0218

My son "filled the tank" and I ran out of gasoline eight miles out. He said the pump shut off so he assumed it was full. Be careful you add enough fuel add do not trust the "pump shut off" system. The sin was he fished for three days and added one gallon of gasoline. He never used the boat again.

I would would check the vent make sure that is open I have never seen one you could close kinda interesting!!! I know on many older boats the vents get crud in the screens making things harder but a new one should not have that problem. But if you keep having it you can always just fill mine up has goes in easy hahaha

Thanks for all the replies. The flap that I am having a problem with opening is on the tube leading into the gas tank. In speaking with another member on here that has a Starweld, there is a switch that opens up his flap. So now I will have to hunt around tonight for a switch or lever for this flap. I do have a cap on the gas tank vent that is on the starboard side of the stern, so I will have to loosen the vent cap if this flap is based on pressure inside the tank. Out of all the boat problems that I have had over the years this might be the one that has irritated me the most. Especially since I can only get less than a dollar's worth of gas in at a time and the gas station pump times out, then my credit cards get flagged because of the charge and I have to spend time on the phone explaining this to someone who barely speaks English. :devil:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have tried taking the vent cap off, but that doesn't help. I was at Keuka Lake last week and got gas at the Marina. I had to go slow but had no problem putting gas in. I am thinking that the convenience store pumps are too sensitive compared to the Marina pumps. So I may have to try a different gas station until I find one that is not as sensitive. I am going to have the dealer put in a new valve this week to see if this helps.