Okuma Coldwater vs convector

I run a mix of Tekotas, Catalinas and Convectors on my boat.  I am considering running a 4 dipsey spread later on in the season. I used to my convectors 30s as my reels sold them and moved up to Tekotas which i like alot. I never had problems with my convectors but sold them to lessen the hurt of the price of the tekotas.  I don't want to drop alot of coin on this second set of reels as I won't be running 4 dipseys that often. It seems the cold water has a slightly better gear ratio than the convector but I am hesitant to buy the cold waters as I have one currently and the drag got smoked by an Atlantic or Steelhead last year.  It peeled off 300' of line on its initial run off the rigger and the reel siezed up and the fish eventually snapped off after a dozen acrobatic leaps. Okuma was kind enough to replace the reel and sent me the spool from that reel that had my line on it. I like Okuma because they stand behind their products , no questions asked. I also heard that they had issues with the drags on the cold water series and they have since addressed them and they are better now.  Just wondering if I should stick with the old dependable and proven great lakes standard, the convector or move up to the Coldwater trusting they did make the improvements and get a pair of those instead.  By the way the reel that got smoked was CW153 and I'd be looking at the CW303 to run my wire. As always your feedback is appreciated.

I go by the old maxim "If it ain't broke don't fix it". If I have stuff that is catching fish and working as it is supposed to....I stick with it until it no longer does so rather than changing for the sake of change. In the past I've been bit in the butt by changing stuff I didn't need to.....

Edited by Sk8man

I'd get tourney drags for your Tekota's.  The stock drags are pretty sticky.  And whichever you choose between the convector or coldwater.  I've used both Okuma reels and they seem great.  I've never owned either just because i've heard of quite a few drag and/or clicker failures on both models.  I have the daiwa sealine 47LC reels for wire and they've been great for 4 seasons!  And come with tourney drags.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

I've read good things about the older Convector CV 30L's. Most of the internal parts are stainless steel which will last forever. But they do sneak in two of four cheaper, non carbon fiber drag washers which doesn't make sense to me since they upgraded most of the reel from brass to stainless.