Best Trolling Motor with i-Pilot?

After seeing a few guys out on the lake last year with trolling motors that kept them within 5 feet of a spot on the lake auto-magically, I am considering taking the plunge as a spring upgrade to my boat. I have a hummingbird 386 CI Fishfinder I picked up after getting some very great advice from guys on here regarding what FF works well for Jigging. I am very happy with the FF for the record and it is amazing for jigging compared to any I have had previously. The current trolling motor I have is only 28LB thrust and I'm looking for an upgrade to this as well, staying in the same spot in moderate wind is not always an option with the level of thrust output I have currently. The Boat is 16.5ft Blu-fin aluminum with a 40hp outboard for the main motor (in-case that makes a difference somehow). Unfortunately the Hummingbird 386 CI does not support i-Pilot link but that's alright as from what I read they have standalone systems that work without i-Pilot link. Id also like to use the new trolling motor for trolling at some point as it seems easier to use an electric (if possible) then to invest in a kicker and have another motor to maintain. 

I am looking for any advice anyone may have to offer on what to look for or avoid when looking into a trolling motor that has the ability to hold you in 1 spot with GPS and push my boat at at least 2.5 MPH. Currently considering the following but am open to any suggestions you all may have to offer. 

Id like to stay around the $1000 range with above 45lbs of thrust if possible. If there's a great reason to go higher I can stretch a little on that.

I am also unsure at this point what benefit a longer shaft length provides.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Minn-Kota-PowerDrive-V2-55-Trolling-Motor-With-i-Pilot&i=731836

Edited by new@this

I'd spend more money for a terrova 55 with the ipilot and 54'' shaft. The powerdrive is controlled by a remote only, terrova you get foot pedal as well as remot. I PILOT link is useless unless you live out in the upper midwest where they have mapping cards to support Link

I have the exact same boat I went with the Terrova 24 volt 80# thrust, 60 " shaft, my Lowrance Elite 5 FF is hooked up to it, can't say enough good things about it, love the anchor lock, love the auto pilot, I easily use it as a trolling motor 6-8 hours at a time, depending on the wave action, I replaced my fishing partner with this thing, point it in 1 direction hit auto, doesn't care about wind, weight moving around in the boat, current, waves.......like I said, can't say enough good things

I have the exact same boat I went with the Terrova 24 volt 80# thrust, 60 " shaft, my Lowrance Elite 5 FF is hooked up to it, can't say enough good things about it, love the anchor lock, love the auto pilot, I easily use it as a trolling motor 6-8 hours at a time, depending on the wave action, I replaced my fishing partner with this thing, point it in 1 direction hit auto, doesn't care about wind, weight moving around in the boat, current, waves.......like I said, can't say enough good things

Had one too on my 16 smoker craft for 3 years.

Unbelievable!! All said true . I even trolled Lake O with it and it served as a very dependable back up to an old outboard. Just get one.

Not to high jack thread but, Do any of you use the ipilot with a kicker pushing? I want this setup and am curious how well it works. How is it on battery etc. I'm looking 24v terrova on a 17' Lund fisherman with a 8-9.9 kicker motor (haven't bought yet)

Not to high jack thread but, Do any of you use the ipilot with a kicker pushing? I want this setup and am curious how well it works. How is it on battery etc. I'm looking 24v terrova on a 17' Lund fisherman with a 8-9.9 kicker motor (haven't bought yet)

I'll tell you more in a week or two..... 210 Fishmaster , 9.9 HT Yamaha kicker , 24 volt terrova 80 pt on the front.....

post-139487-0-84283800-1399502731_thumb.jpg

Last week I used my power drive with iPilot while using my yammy 115 to troll. Worked great as long as the wind wasn't too bad. Landed quite a few fish with me and my buddy in the back of the boat while the iPilot kept things running straight. I used the compass direction not the GPS which seemed to work better.

Last Thursday it was so windy just couldn't use it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by paige386

Only had the main motor running when we were fighting fish just idle. I had the hand controller around my neck on a lanyard . Never needed help pulling around in any trolling speed with the 80lbs terrova. Set a course and speed and fish. Perfect for solo rides too!!

I have been using my 80lb thrust terrova while running my 4 stroke together for three tears and love it.  The terrova will push my pontoon 3mph, but it trolls and tracks best using both motors together and battery life is less of an issue.  Speed adjustments are very easy.  I usually run the 4 stroke at an idle and set the speed with the terrova.  

It seems to be unanimous, The Terrova is the way to go for a number of reasons.

It appears there are both 12 volt and 24 volt models. After some research, I'm a bit unclear on whats needed for the 24 volt system. Do you need to actually buy a 24 volt battery or can you run 2x 12volt battery's linked together? Never dealt with anything above 12 volts before. 

The next question is which one. Leaning towards the one below at the moment but am curious what a 24 volt system requires and what costs to create one. 

Minn Kota® 55 Terrovaâ„¢ with i-Pilot® Wireless GPS Trolling System and Foot Pedal - http://goo.gl/GxP6mw

As far as shaft length goes its offered in 54" or 45" for 10$ difference. I am not sure what the benefit to running a longer shaft is if you don't need it?

Well its down to the wire.... these two are battling it out in my head at the moment and there is no clear winner yet....

Option 1

I go with the Terrova 55lbs of thrust,12 volt power system and the 54" Shaft (max length).... $1238.94 shipped to my door after 55$ rebate...
Link > 

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1304164&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=f1ded2572c6e977e87c9b8a12fb55c7e&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1837280%3Bcat104716980%3Bcat104233680&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

or

Option 2
Upgrade and go all the way with the Terrova 80lbs of thrust, 24 volt power system, and 60" shaft (max length)....  $193.94 higher price to my door after $112 rebate making the total for this option $1431.94 (After Rebate).... 
Link > 
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1304163&categoryId=0&parentCategoryId=0&subCategoryId=0&indexId=0&itemGUID=a503a947fb01381377a43e422a0f9b4d&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1837280%3Bcat104716980%3Bcat104233680&destination=/checkout/basket.jsp

Creating a 24 volt system and finding a place to store two 12 volt batteries side by side doesn't seem like an easy task given my boat layout, but Ill come up with something if I go down this road.... That being said I'm not sure I need the 80lbs of thrust as I can do around 1.5mph now on a calm day with my old 28lbs... 

Also does anyone know without the i-Pilot link and a compatible fish finder, if its possible to store more then 6 tracks or Anchor spots? - 6 doesn't seem like alot and I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to marking spots I find and being able to re-locate them. 

Its not just extra thrust on the 80 its the extra battery life and if the wind blows at all you will wish you spent the extra....I kick myself for not getting the 101...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

...or the terrova http://www.moodeals.com/product-p/1358865.htm and when I ordered mine, I printed the rebate off of minn-kotas website and got that too! Saves you a couple hundred bucks! Like Justtracy said, having two batteries will be a huge advantage when it comes to longevity. I used to troll for hours with nothing but the I pilot and main motor shut down. It works especially great when you are creeping the shallows for spring browns or the walleye night bite...

Edited by wnyfisherman