Stupid Bimini Top Question

Does anyone know how I figure out what size bimini top I should get? I know, measure.. obviously but I mean roughly. I want something to keep me out of the sun and rain but still enough room to manuver around the back of my boat.

Just a suggestion ....actually get in the boat and stand and sit where you will be located and estimate at the height of a sunny day ( I know.,...It 's NYS and hard to find :lol: ). I know with my "Whaler made" bimini (which was expensive and not modifiable now) I wish it was a tad wider toward the back and front when the sun is at its highest in the summer. You need to also pay attention to where your rod holders and downriggers are located and put rods in them to make sure your have clearance for the bimini supports. Tell the guy making the bimini where you need to be away from them BEFORE he makes it. Because every boat is a different design you can't just go with standard measurements from someone elses boat

Edited by Sk8man

How big is your boat and what type is it?  Is it a Center console, dual console, tiller, cuddy cabin, walk around?

I have a 50" wide x 48" long x 36" tall that is attached the console of my 23' walk around.  It is enough to keep us out of the sun and gives us tons of room at the back of the boat to fish.

Definitely stand in your boat and roughly figure it out. That's what I did.

Another tip. The install manual for mine said to set the straps at a 45 degree angle... That's more for the front ones. I set the back ones that way and it definitely restricted the fishing area off the sides in the back. The boat luckily had hardware for the bumpers that caused the straps to be perpendicular (instead of 45) to the side of the boat and it holds just fine that way.

Also for the front straps, if you can (and it's close to 45) put the hardware into the metal of your windshield. I wish I did. I chipped the glass a little tightening the screws. It'll work just the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The bimi top was and still is the problem when I posted "how to rig my boat". Skman suggested the vertical back straps but they are still in the way for leader rigs, and rod holders, and berts tracks. Very intersted in what you do. Iam trying the straps close to the motor on both sides of the transom. can't fight a fish in the prop anyway

Thanks Dick B

My rear straps actually go back towards the console (forwards) and never had any issues of it holding. They like you to pull more on the bar than the little screws but my straps and bimini seem to be fine after 2 seasons. of being used all summer everyday.

When I run all my stuff outriggers, boards, downriggers, wire rigs etc. or when running 4 Seth Greens I leave my bimini down no matter what the conditions are (rain sun etc.) because it is often in the way of something no matter where the support braces would be located....it is kinda in the nature of the beast they take up a lot of side room regardless of placement. The bimini is fine when I run just downriggers and/or stuff that is located at the extreme back of the boat....most of the time it stays in the boot folded down. I got tired of reaching around the supports :lol: The bimini was designed by the Whaler folks not by me by the way..... :)

Edited by Sk8man

I customized the bimini frame I had then ordered to fit.  I designed the fishing area FIRST then put the bimini in the space thats left.  You can always move to stand in the shade, but the fishing space is more critical...imo.