Questions or comments Thompson Hardtop240

L&M

I think they are great boats with very deep gunnel's. The only thing I would look over closely is the gel coat. I know they had trouble in the past with it. I'm sure Hank will chime in, becasue he asked the year of the boat. Good luck in your search! Dont forget about their 260 fisherman either. Its a bigger boat but still trailerable.

That is why I asked the year. Thompson is known for structural problems as allout mentioned above and even with low hrs on it. It would have no bearing on the stringers, transom, or hard top supports. Have it looked over closely for any problems before you decide on it.

Back in the 80's or early 90's,a Capt from Fair Haven had a Thompson HT.One day he went down to his slip in Frost Haven Resort and the boat had sunk.I beleive that it split along the centerline.As with any used boat...hire a good surveyor.Good luck to you.....Zeke/Cyn (Strike 3)

We have a 1990 24'ht. It's a heavy boat that does great it rough water. It gets out of the hole good w/ atop end in the low to mid 30's. We usually cruise at about 24-27 area. Youl get 1 hour per gallon trolling and 1-1.5 miles per gallon running. It is deep. Once you get used to rigging you'll be flying around without thinking twice about it. No stringer or gel coat problems yet that I know of.

If it has a sink I would yank it and put your cooler in it's place. It will then seat 5 people comforatably.

Maybe if Rob (legacy) can chime in on his view of it also. He's fished w/ us a bunch of times.

If I remember anything else Ill report back.

I agree with Scott on this, as far as too deep, no way. I have retro eases ppn the riggers and have no problems. I feel better fishing in this boat then many bigger boats I have been on due to the depth of the gunnels. Pm has been sent, good luck.

Rich

I have fished on a friend's 24' Thompson many times, those high gunnels are very nice for both rigging and fighting fish. Haven't really been in rough water while on it, but the ride of that boat really impresses me.

Make sure to get a survey, and if it passes, then grab that boat, you WILL NOT be disappointed with it.

I have a 1989 24'ht with the 5.0 It rides nice in rough water. My top end is in the low to mid 30's. No problems with the gel coat or stringers. The sides are high off the water, but I like it for rigging and netting.

PM if you need more information.

Ray

I have the 24' Thompson HT Adam was talking about (1986 Model 252 HT, pretty much the predecessor of the 240 Fisherman). Great boat to fish out of. I like the fact that the gunwales are so high that unless you're Wilt Chamberlain, you HAVE to have a bucket to pee :lol:

As other said, get a survey. I didn't and lost the entire summer of 2003 having the stringers, transom, motor bunks and floor replaced. On a good note, the boat is now better constructed than it was when it left St Charles Michigan in 1985.

I have the 230 HP 5.0 Merc in it. I think it is a little underpowered for the weight of the boat, but I'm not trying to win any races with it. How slow it trolls down to is more important to me.

If the boat you are looking at doesn't have trim tabs, get them, these boats really need em, the difference the tabs made on mine was nothing short of miraculous.

Here's mine

FishStyx.jpg

2883PICT0012.JPG

Tim

I have a Thompson 210 Fisherman and this will be our 4th year. 1st year we fished Lake Erie. This will be our 3rd in Ontario. I really like the boat it's a little tight when running 8 poles. We removed the old seats a put 2 new ones in. I troll it down to 1.5 without bags and we get about 2 gallons per hour. She gets up there around 34 cruises nice at 30 and really not bad in rough water, however i am not a big fan of to rough of water anyway. We were going to upgrade this year but my accident put us back a year. Every boat has its own personallity but it is how you treat it that counts. A little TLC goes a long way.

I would stay away if it is the 240 with a 4 cyl. I have the 4.3 and I wish we had the 350 in it. I am looking into putting a 4 blade on it to get the hole shot. The boat it self weighs around 3500- 4000, then add the gear and fuel and you are pushing 5000 - 6000, depending on equipment and fuel tank size. With the 4.3 I have got 27 mph, but have not pushed it to the max, I just want to get on plane faster with 4+ guys on the boat. Sweet fishing platform. Going to be hard to give it up if I get my License.

Rich

Is it a single 4 banger? I've seen 240 fishermen with twin 4 cyl I/O's I can't believe they's put a single 4 in that size boat.

Mine is a 230 hp 305 merc and I wouldn't go any smaller. I top out at around 32 mph sog, but before I added the trim tabs, I pretty much had to be wide open to get it to plane out.

Tim