Honeoye Walleye 5-8-14

Just returned from evening fishing at Honeoye for walleye. Fished from shore casting Rapalas and other sticks just after dark with ultralights and 6 lb test line. The large mouth were smashing the stick and I managed to land all 17 of them and a few of them were real nice ones (all released unharmed). Caught just the one eye but he struggled pretty good and was 25 inches which is a decent one for Honeoye.  He had some pretty good teeth on him too....thinking I should submit him to the River monsters reality show :lol:

Anyway great to get out and have a little action.

post-145411-0-46274700-1399522822_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-81982500-1399522829_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Good going Zack! Was that you I was talking to from shore in the dark? It was a couple guys in a small boat that had one walleye at the time and on the east side....?

Thanks Jeremy :)

Go get em Justin! I'm going to give it another try tonight but this east/SE wind where I'm fishing might not be good karma...

It's good to hear good reports, my parents have a place on the East side right directly across from where the California Ranch used to be, I grew up fishing there and have some great memories. Lately though, fishing has seemed to die off, terrible algae blooms during the summer. My parents have the place for sale so it will be sad to see that come to an end. We used to murder the Walleyes in front of his place this time of year.

Yeah I have fond memories of the California Ranch and the bar/restaurant that used to be there....my wife and I used to eat there while ice fishing and had a couple drinks as well....real neat. I too have caught a bunch of fish including walleyes in the old days off that point and over across near Log Cabin point too at the edge of the hole. The algae bloom in summer is a very real problem now (contamination etc.) so I don't fish it in the warmer months. It is an incredible bass (large mouth primarily) lake as well as gills. Last night I caught tons of largemouth (all released) while fishing for walleyes including several that were in the 3-4 lb range on ultralight tackle. A lot of fun but not really what I was after.... :lol:  My son lives over on the east side.

Edited by Sk8man

What's strange about the bass fishing is we used to KILL the smallies with very little largie action, now in the past years, can't buy a smallie out there. Seems all related to when we started seeing Zebra mussels followed by the algae blooms. The one thing that has stayed constant has been the bluegill fishing, right off our dock with a bobber and jig with a wax worm catching slobs that you cannot get your hand around them to grab them.

Yep. I think the unbeliveable weed growth over the years favored the largemeouth over the smallies and the clarity of that shallow water throughout the lake created by the Zebras put the icing on the cake for the smallmouth. Once in a while you get one but it is like 20 to 1 now large mouths.