Alewive die off

Fishing east of sandy yesterday there was a ton of dead alewives all over the surface. I figured it was just stress from the long winter but it still does not sit well with me. Anyone else seeing dead alewives?

Sure doesn't sound good Brian. Let's hope it isn't something that is happening all over the lake.....

According to Wikipedia, it's not unusual for Alewives (Moon eyes) to have a seasonal die off.

Back in the 50's as a kid growing up in Oswego, I can remember the 'silver band' all along the lake shore composed of dead alewives.  You could hardly get close to the shore because of the stink.  It lasted about a week or two.

Jim

The lake needs to warm up so the plankton food chain starts up again. Alewives in Ontario are relegated to feeding on Copepods and Mysis shrimp zooplankton in deep lake layers during the winter. These zooplankton procreate during the fall and winter then die off. Other plankton species need to fill the void in the spring and summer. These dead alewives could be from severe temp changes, life cycle death or they may be starving at this point.

There's a ton of dead shad floating around in I. bay too, which isn't uncommen for this time of year.

Last weekend we even hooked a zombie-shad while trolling.

We laughed like crazy 'cuz it even took the spoon in it's mouth!... and the meat just falls off the bone!

The lake needs to warm up so the plankton food chain starts up again. Alewives in Ontario are relegated to feeding on Copepods and Mysis shrimp zooplankton in deep lake layers during the winter. These zooplankton procreate during the fall and winter then die off. Other plankton species need to fill the void in the spring and summer. These dead alewives could be from severe temp changes, life cycle death or they may be starving at this point.

It's warming good off sandy. 49 degrees out to fifty foot yesterday. One hell of a temp break in fifty. This warm up coming will kick start things.

Brian I can say without hesitation there is no problem with the bait levels. Just got in from a frustrating day fishing off Olcott/Wilson. The bait has come in to the 200' levels in large numbers.....just wish there were hooks around it!!!

A massive die off is normal after they spawn---that's actually one of the reasons we get to fish for king salmon---in the 60's, salmon were stocked in lake O as a predator to help control the massive alewive population and reduce the #'s washing ashore. Look what it turned into!