Replacing impeller

I would check the service manual at a marina for sure.....I ran my Merc Optimax for 12 years and after the impeller failed found out that it is supposed to be replaced every two years in an Optimax. It was noted in the service manual but not in my owners manual. (and yes I did know I was skating on thin ice beforehand :lol: ) Basically they take a "set" (e.g. bend out of shape slightly rather than actually being destroyed per se. and no longer fit tightly to pull the water the way they are supposed to. I was surprised that the water still spurted out the ejection port....I figured that it would stop altogether but I was told that not so...but the upper cylinders may not receive the necessary flow for cooling raising the engine temp abnormally and if extreme can "smoke them". Luckily my warning alarm went on and engine only went to 190 degrees and I shut it down so no damage done. Lesson learned...I won't risk it again. I know it is an outboard but still the same principle.

Edited by Sk8man

My 150 efi is supposed to get one every year. The original failed early in season 2. I changed it the next two seasons. Then i bought one and kept it in my truck along with the tools to change it. Got three years on that one and just replaced it last week as to not push my luck. When you change one really grease it up with mercury 24c with teflon. Makes it go on real easy.

I change mine every spring. I average 250 - 300 hrs a year and its not that hard or expensive to do. I dock my boat and don't want to have to pull it out if there is a problem. This way its done and I don't have to worry about it.

I pushed my luck...went 11 years without changing and never had a problem.  When I did change it, the impeller looked brand new, everything still tight, but I changed it anyways...yammy 115efi.  But better safe than sorry.  However, thought I'd comment as I am not all that mechanically inclined but  did it myself with ease...there are several great youtube videos showing you how to do it on a variety of motors.

Your manual is based on salt water replacement and you are in fresh water. If you do a lot of shallow fishing where there is sand and mud that gets kicked up go for once a year,if you are in clear water and trailer your boat ,3 or 4 years is ok. If you sometimes turn over your engine for just a few seconds to see if it starts replace after 3 tries.

Who cares what the manual says.  Cheap insurance policy if you ask me.  I do mine every other year.  Overheat the engine, it might cost you way more than a simple impellor replacement.