It just dawned on me... Tim Bromund, we met last July at the docks in Olcott while waiting for fuel at the pump. I think it was you and your son, if I remember right. I just noticed your boat name. Makes me wonder how many others I have met from here and never known it.

I wish there was a way to simply "like" some of these posts!

Thank you to those who support us captains and mates.

Brian...Gambler....has summed up the challenges for this business the best.

As for other posts ...... A few of them the ignorance was only exceeded by verbosity.

The challenges as a captain are what kept me from being a captain.    If I did not have the job I have, I might have ended up chartering.  I give any captain a lot of credit.  As for the true full time guys, I give you even more credit.  Not the easiest way to make a living. 

I have no problem staying a rec fishermen and fishing a couple tournies here and there.  Makes life a little easier!  Anyone that has an issue with the prices of a charter, or tipping, try first mating on a boat or getting your license and seeing first hand what captains deal with every day! 

:yes: :yes:

You always hear "find something you love and it doesnt feel like work". I love chasing kings around lake O. A couple of years ago I decided to fish two full weeks(fall LOC). My favorite hobby, obsession started to feel like work. Cant even imagine mixing buissness aspects with the hours and ware and tare on gear. Too much of a good thing...

It just dawned on me... Tim Bromund, we met last July at the docks in Olcott while waiting for fuel at the pump. I think it was you and your son, if I remember right. I just noticed your boat name. Makes me wonder how many others I have met from here and never known it.

Could be, I dock there seasonally and gas up at the gas dock.  The old girl is thirsty if we do a lot of running. :)  I don't have any kids, but I take a lot of different people fishing, or maybe it was me and dad, which is my regular crew, along with any friends I can drag along.

Tim

Plus these captains help ALL of us with their participation on this forum. Byoung62 is spot on! I just looked up Yankee Trollers rates...650 a day or 1000 for two days that isnt 800!! if anyone thinks this is too much check out what a rig like his runs, and what it costs to maintain. Plus there must be plenty of smaller charters that are cheaper. Bottom line is if you think its so much dont hire a charter. Just keep fishing off your boat, and dont add up what you spend on your boat!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just to clarify....We're $650 for 8hrs. $1300 for two days. The $1000 deal is for a 4hr afternoon trip followed by an 8 hr morning trip. That's for up to 4 people. If we have a full boat of 6 people we are $800 for the day.

We don't make a lot of money chartering. If we get a tip, GREAT! If not, then it's no big deal. We don't run our charter business to "make money" because if we did then we wouldn't have burned $1000 in fuel over 3 days with our charter this past weekend to get them on sharks. I laughed and made a joke in their presence talking to someone else that I basically chartered for free this weekend during the WHI burning all that gas. I watch a lot of guys take the closest fish in the morning rather than going straight to the Salmon, which may be offshore. To us Salmon are #1 and we can usually get them to go. Everything else is #2. 

Just my .02, but alot of people think that out of that 500-700 they spend on a charter is all profit. Any GOOD charter captain is there an hour or two before the trip and at least that after the trip is over cleaning fish and and the boat. Most charter boats are not little and will go through at least $150 in fuel per trip (which is on the low end). From that take out percentage of insurance, equipment, dockage cost, liscense fee, First aid and CPR that are required. there is not alot left. There will always be those captains who do bare minimum to collect their check but any captain that is proud of his name and his vessel will show it in his work and will do his best to make your trip the best they can. If you had a great trip and feel that the captain and/or mate did the best they could in the conditions they were given i see nothing wrong with showing them some gratitude. I know many captains and know how hard they work and how much effort they put into every trip. again just my $0.02 

Doing some thing you enjoy as a pass time for a job is the fastest way to stop enjoying your pass time.

The Captains deserve every penny they charge and then some. Boat, gear, time, gas, insurance ect

People seem to forget about all the hidden costs there are running a legitimate business

A tip is in order for good service and a fun trip on the lake

Years ago when some of my friends were getting into chartering I figured I'd look into it too so I took an evening class short business course which started with developing a detailed business plan and "defending" the plan in front of the class. I was all psyched up until I fully explored the details regarding the financial investment in the boat, equipment, captains course, insurances, upkeep/storage costs. I then computed the time spent chartering, making arrangements, rigging stuff and cleaning up after/between charters. When I finished with all my figures and made my conclusion statement it became fully apparent to me that in my personal situation I couldn't justify doing it from an economic standpoint....I figured my hourly "wage" at $2.70 and although the tax "write off" initially appeared attractive it was too much of a "gamble"  to take a chance on the average 5 year loss of an "average" small business. The final blow was the realization that given my "fussy" nature to keep my equipment nice and extreme desire to fish as much as possible (as was currently doing) I wouldn't be able to fish the way I really wanted to if I was trying to please customers and screwing around with the business part of the operation which is essential for success....I worried that it would "spoil" the enjoyment factor of fishing for me. My hat is off to the guys like Rick, Sean, and Nick and other very competent charter guys who have overcome these "obstacles" and maintain their fishing enjoyment as well. I was meant to be a "recreational" fisherman. :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

We don't make a lot of money chartering. If we get a tip, GREAT! If not, then it's no big deal. We don't run our charter business to "make money" because if we did then we wouldn't have burned $1000 in fuel over 3 days with our charter this past weekend to get them on sharks. I laughed and made a joke in their presence talking to someone else that I basically chartered for free this weekend during the WHI burning all that gas. I watch a lot of guys take the closest fish in the morning rather than going straight to the Salmon, which may be offshore. To us Salmon are #1 and we can usually get them to go. Everything else is #2. 

Exactly!!!! well said bud. It's about the love of the chase the experience and having fun > if we make enough to cover all expense for the year, make boat payments and maybe some new toys - it was a good year $ wise lol.

You know im the same way will leave 50 browns to boat 12 sharks! 

Also if you are worried about fuel this is the wrong game for ya lol

;)

Edited by KING ME

I've posted this on here before, but it's worth repeating. When I was much younger, I thought being a Lake Ontario Charter would be my absolute dream job. Then as I got older, I realized that for me, turning my life's passion into a job/work was the last thing in the world I want to do. I like going out when I want, as long or short as I want. Be able to pick my days and not fish in crap conditions because I have a boatful of paying customers, etc. I'm perfectly happy being a weekend warrior, but I have the utmost respect for those guys that take it on.

One of the sayings I've frequently heard and repeated kind of sums this thread up: how do you make a small fortune as a charter boat caprain? Start with a large fortune.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Tim Bromund

This is always a contentious topic. I've been on both ends of the charter tip. I've gotten up at 3am to drive 70 miles one way to substitute mate for a friend who called me at 3 am. I've steadied hung over vomiters as they puked their guts overboard. I've wiped up diarrhea that missed the bowl in rough seas with paper towels. I've cut the barb off a hook that impaled and passed through a customers hand. I've entertained spoiled brat out of control kids whose parents should be ashamed of their behaviors. I've had to breathe second hand smoke, and bite my lip at stoned and drunk customers, one drunk stumbling into me injuring me to the extent I had to take time off from work. I've had people get upset at me because they lost a fish, some to the point of being rude.

I bring extra food, beverage, and sunscreen in case you forgot yours in the rush to get to the boat. I offer some Bonine or ginger root to calm your motion sickness if you forgot that. I clean your fish with the skill of a butcher, completely boneless filets or steaks if you prefer and custom package them and have sometimes gotten dirty looks because you think I work too slowly and your in a hurry to get on the road ( I guess you feel I should apologize for taking twenty-five minutes to clean your 4-person limit catch of kings). I managed to be polite all day to your angry bitter teen because you dragged them away from her friends hoping this would be a good way to bond with your kid that disrespects you so much they call you by your first name (instead of something more appropriate like dad).

I've taken pictures and videos of you and your kids so in the future you can reflect on some of the happier times in your life. If your interested, I'll try and teach you all I know about the fishery. I'll teach you the what, where, when, and how of salmon fishing and encourage you to be an active participant if you are willing. I'll try to anticipate your needs and desires and fulfill them if I can. I'll listen to what you feel is important and when I say listen I mean listen, not wait for you to finish so I can one-up you. I won't bring up your work on your day off, and if you do, I'll try to get your mind off work without you realizing it. I'll point out the sunrise your missing cause your searching through your gear for some unimportant thing like your cell phone or organizer. I'll do what's in my ability to ensure that you and your friends and/or family have a great time sharing each other's company.

After you leave I'll spend a couple hours getting the boat ready for tomorrow's guests, just like I did the night before for your trip today. I'll get home exhausted, shower off the fish smell, and skip dinner because I'm just beat from the 85 degree temp and the sun reflecting off the water all day. Oh, and that alarm is going to go off at 3:00 am again...

Now, you don't think twice about giving the waitress 10-15% for comparatively minimal contact with you bringing you a drink, taking your order, bringing you your food, and checking in that everything is to your liking, yet somehow you balk at what amounts to less than minimum wage for personalized all day long service for your charter first mate?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

John hammered it out of the park!!! Eloquently done John. If you've read John's post and still don't think you should tip the Mate, your either crazy or cheap, and neither of those are endearing qualities!!! Tight lines everybody, good luck out on the water!!!!

Why is it that we tip the girl at Duncan Donuts but don't

tip the girl at Mcdonalds who hands your food out the window the same as the girl who hands you your coffee? Also, if you go to Walmart and get exemplary service from the guy in electronics who helps you pick out your new flat screen should you tip him as well? Just asking -----

•  

This is always a contentious topic. I've been on both ends of the charter tip. I've gotten up at 3am to drive 70 miles one way to substitute mate for a friend who called me at 3 am. I've steadied hung over vomiters as they puked their guts overboard. I've wiped up diarrhea that missed the bowl in rough seas with paper towels. I've cut the barb off a hook that impaled and passed through a customers hand. I've entertained spoiled brat out of control kids whose parents should be ashamed of their behaviors. I've had to breathe second hand smoke, and bite my lip at stoned and drunk customers, one drunk stumbling into me injuring me to the extent I had to take time off from work. I've had people get upset at me because they lost a fish, some to the point of being rude.

I bring extra food, beverage, and sunscreen in case you forgot yours in the rush to get to the boat. I offer some Bonine or ginger root to calm your motion sickness if you forgot that. I clean your fish with the skill of a butcher, completely boneless filets or steaks if you prefer and custom package them and have sometimes gotten dirty looks because you think I work too slowly and your in a hurry to get on the road ( I guess you feel I should apologize for taking twenty-five minutes to clean your 4-person limit catch of kings). I managed to be polite all day to your angry bitter teen because you dragged them away from her friends hoping this would be a good way to bond with your kid that disrespects you so much they call you by your first name (instead of something more appropriate like dad).

I've taken pictures and videos of you and your kids so in the future you can reflect on some of the happier times in your life. If your interested, I'll try and teach you all I know about the fishery. I'll teach you the what, where, when, and how of salmon fishing and encourage you to be an active participant if you are willing. I'll try to anticipate your needs and desires and fulfill them if I can. I'll listen to what you feel is important and when I say listen I mean listen, not wait for you to finish so I can one-up you. I won't bring up your work on your day off, and if you do, I'll try to get your mind off work without you realizing it. I'll point out the sunrise your missing cause your searching through your gear for some unimportant thing like your cell phone or organizer. I'll do what's in my ability to ensure that you and your friends and/or family have a great time sharing each other's company.

After you leave I'll spend a couple hours getting the boat ready for tomorrow's guests, just like I did the night before for your trip today. I'll get home exhausted, shower off the fish smell, and skip dinner because I'm just beat from the 85 degree temp and the sun reflecting off the water all day. Oh, and that alarm is going to go off at 3:00 am again...

Now, you don't think twice about giving the waitress 10-15% for comparatively minimal contact with you bringing you a drink, taking your order, bringing you your food, and checking in that everything is to your liking, yet somehow you balk at what amounts to less than minimum wage for personalized all day long service for your charter first mate?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

WOW!  Perfectly put John... I am reliving my earlier years as a mate and everything stated above is SPOT ON... Tipping is part of the industry just like in dining.

Tipping is not a city in japan lmao. Go on a offshore charter on the ocean they pretty much mandiate and dictate what you will tip captain and or mate.