• 4 weeks later...

I have read all of the posts and they are somewhat helpful but I am still not certain what or who to tip. This was our first Charter trip. There were 5 of us 2 brothers, 2 friends and myself. The Charter package provided lodging and 4 days of fishing. Prior to the trip I asked the Captain about tipping. I wanted to know how to tip the mate, if we needed to tip the person that made the lodge ready and what to tip the captain. The captain told us that there was no need to tip the maid clean up service, that $20 per person per day was a good average for the mate, he said nothing about tipping him for service.

The trip was wonderful, the captain and mate were great and we had a wonderful time and want to go back. Tipping properly is a concern and I want to correct it if you think we were out of line.

We tipped the mate a total of $100 a day for the first 3 days and $150 on the last day so we gave him $450 for a fantastic job. we gave the Captain a total of $120 above the total bill.........which was $3,150. We didn't leave anything for maid service.

I would appreciate your opinions on if or how far out of line we may have been. I want to make it right if we were not in line...........Thanks!

I run my own charter on the north shore, personally I don't expect a tip. I work hard to make my clients day everything they thought it would be when they decided to spend their hard earned money with me. Odds are they never received a tip for doing their job... However if someone feels that the services I have provided deserve a little extra, I will gladly take it lol!

As far as your trip you treated the mate extremely fair, and he should be very happy with what he received, the captain should also be grateful for the little extra.

I wouldn't complain if you have lumpy pillows or run out of toilet paper on the next trip though lol!!!

As stated previously, a tip should not be expected by a captain, if you want more money charge more. Having said that most mates do what they do for very little $ and do it because they love it! A little extra $$$ goes a long way in making their day.

" The Only Time A Bent Rod Feels Good! "

Edited by Homewrecker Charters

I have been a mate for years with a great boat...I also fish for myself on "the O".. I am a school teacher and I enjoy working some in the summer, what better office than a charter boat! I get $50.00 from the Captain no matter what, and I consider a $20.00 tip per fisherman a fair day...most days I leave with $100-120...Long days starting at 5am ending by cleaning the boat around 230pm.....and remember 430am comes fast-which makes for short nights!

My first mate and I work reverse roles on my boat. He is an older gentleman who suffers from bad knees so he cannot stand for long periods of time. But, he's the best damn boat driver that I have ever been privileged to fish around. So, he keeps us on the fish, once their located, and I must say keeps me very busy at the back of the boat. He also keeps the clients amused by giving them hell each time a fish is dropped or missed. For his services, he's paid $50.00 per day, and receives all tips from my clients which are normally fairly impressive. I would/will be lost without him if/when the day comes when he tells me he can no longer do it.

Tip of the hat to my first mate, and friend Jack Rossman....      Wishin to be Fishin Charters

I have read all of the posts and they are somewhat helpful but I am still not certain what or who to tip. This was our first Charter trip. There were 5 of us 2 brothers, 2 friends and myself. The Charter package provided lodging and 4 days of fishing. Prior to the trip I asked the Captain about tipping. I wanted to know how to tip the mate, if we needed to tip the person that made the lodge ready and what to tip the captain. The captain told us that there was no need to tip the maid clean up service, that $20 per person per day was a good average for the mate, he said nothing about tipping him for service.

The trip was wonderful, the captain and mate were great and we had a wonderful time and want to go back. Tipping properly is a concern and I want to correct it if you think we were out of line.

We tipped the mate a total of $100 a day for the first 3 days and $150 on the last day so we gave him $450 for a fantastic job. we gave the Captain a total of $120 above the total bill.........which was $3,150. We didn't leave anything for maid service.

I would appreciate your opinions on if or how far out of line we may have been. I want to make it right if we were not in line...........Thanks!

Your tipping sounds just fine to me.

Your Captain and mate should be grateful.

Best of luck if you go back this season and hope you get the fish of a life time.

Leave a little something for the maid service if they perform their duty well.

Edited by spoonfed-1

My two cents. You have to tip the mate just like a waitress no questions. Save some money for the cappy also and raise that on his success.

I run my own boat and PAID to take a lake o charter as it's the same or less then taking my boat out and I wanted to have fun and catch not work. ðŸºðŸºðŸº

Lake o is a steal for a charter. Guys do it for a labor of love. Show them some back.