Tablet used for navigation...

Kuba

Thinking of mounting a tablet for navigation(Android). Anyone here using one? 10" onces can be had for less than 100$ on flea bay. It would be nice with such a big display. Navionics has an app too.

So even if the tablet has a "gps" button in the settings/control panel that is dependant on carrier/towers?

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not true SmellsLike.  My work is buying ipad minis for forestry work...these NEED to be cell phone capable because the non-cell phone capable ones don't have that feature but they do not NEED to have a activated cell phone account.  if they do have cell phone and they do have a coverage for that area, the accuracy would be better because it triangulates off a cell phone tower.  However, without it, it is every bit as good as your everyday chartplotter or handheld GPS unit.

I used Navionics on my cell phone in a remote area of Quebec with no coverage...a $15 APP and I had great coverage all the time but could never send a text or call.

My cell phone is Android based - Samsung.

So, look into it a bit more to make sure it has the GPS capabilities but you should be good with the Navionics app.

I had never thought of a GPS enabled device that didn't require some sort of cell plan, if you don't need the cell plan, and the built in GPS will find where you are, then that would be ideal, and would work GREAT....I have Navionics on my Ipad, but I just use it from home to plan out where im going.

Main reason was to have a bigger screen for navigating;) and a separate 5-7" fishfinder

I have just gotten a galaxy note 3 and it is a LARGE phone. Not like a tablet, but large enough for my liking. I downloaded an app called memory map. It will let you download any nautical charts or topo maps you want at a cost but you can use them on a trial basis to be sure you want the maps. When you purchase them, they are yours and they are stored on the device. NO CELL SERVICE REQUIRED! NO DATA USE!..it uses the GPS enabled device to track your position and it it has a user customized navigation screen that you can arrange any info you can think of on the display including heading, course, course made good, speed, eta, distance to way point, distance traveled, time on couse, and way more. You just customize it's look. Memory Map..check it out.

cent frum my notso smart fone

Just thought I would throw my two cents in. As states you DO NOT need any cell service to use the GPS function on your tablet. (make sure it has a built in GPS receiver)

You can use the Navionics app with no SIM card at all inserted into a tablet or phone. It is a great deal and a gear app. I love mine. In my opinion it does not replace a chart plotter but there certainly are people using it as their primary device. A ram mount and a waterproof case would help if you do go that route.

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...

Went out yesterday. Took my wifi only tablet,It has gps built in. Worked like a charm, no issues with Navionics either.

• 4 weeks later...

I use an IPad with the Navionics app, works awesome!!! Nice big screen, and viewable in the sun. You will enjoy!!!

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just saw a device to use your phone or tablet as a fishfinder.  Not useful at all for trolling but maybe ice fishing or other applications.  It was a round ball you set in the water,  I believe it floats.  So you need it on a line or rope or something.  Didn't seem particularly useful except for ice fishing.  Or maybe checking depth if in a kayak or canoe or something.  Or drifting in the canoe... okay some uses but it wasn't made to be attached to boats.