Buullhead on leaches

Nice going. I used to get 5 gal pails full of those big lake bullheads (when the wind was right) at the Yacht Club cove, out from the three pipes at the north end seawall, Glass Factory Bay as well as the Dresden area. The critical thing is wind direction - needs to be coming toward you and not away from you. Leeches and manure worms work (the striped variety), and pieces of rotten shrimp, but best of all tadpoles (if you can find them). They tear them up :)

Edited by Sk8man

I don't know about the current  legal details we used to be able to use them and I know guys still do it.  I used to get them in Marsh Creek as well (can't remember the name of the street but it is where the treatment plant is either side of the bridge we got them as I remember.

Edited by Sk8man

TROUTMAN87 is correct, frogs are only allowed to be taken June 15 through September 30.    Also no salamanders.  

(Edited to remove incorrect information.)

Edited by hermit

I know that is true for FROGS but I'm thinking that the tadpole stage is different At one time you could only use frogs with frog harnesses too. Someone I know recently bought the tadpoles from a retail bait store....

Edited by Sk8man

They don't specify a distinction and since it's a baby frog and the same species, I'm going to guess it's against regulations.  The idea is probably to let them reproduce.  Just my take :)

Edited by hermit

Last year I asked an ECO who stops by our shop frequently this same question. He said that (in his opinion), a tadpole is still a frog, and therefore not legal to catch or use as bait until Frog season opens.

Okay I looked this up in the state code because it's good to know, definition here:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/42172.html#42178

It says all stages of life including eggs count as a frog.  

Also apparently there is some misinformation out there, on the online regulations page it says no night hunting, while both the printed regulations booklet and the state code say night hunting is okay, just no guns.  So I'd imagine that's correct.   Alrighty then back to the fishing...

I checked with one of my buddies who is a Conservation Officer and he said he thought that the use of them coincides with bass season but he wasn't 100 percent sure (he said it.....the issue seldom comes up)  and because he thought that the issue was also under review in the Department of Fisheries so I called the Avon DEC Office and the guy I needed to speak with was off this afternoon. After reading the part of the DEC regs that Hermit posted and looking on the DEC website for any contradictory info my hunch is that I stand corrected and Hermit is right....

Edited by Sk8man

for the record collection of frogs in new york is only leagal during the open season.  this includes all stages egg and tadpole.  It does not currently apply to toads but toadpoles excrete a toxin that makes them very poor tasting and therefore likely bad bait.  I work for a company that buys and sells frog eggs, tadpoles and adults and we have to be very aware of state regs both in new york and across the country as we ship nation wide.  You can buy and posess frogs purchased from out of state year round but you have to be able to prove origin (reciept works).  As far as using out of state frogs for bait?  I dont have an answer, if its legal than fish supply stores and pond fish stores are potential sources as tadpoles are a common by product of koi farms.