4.3l mercruiser stahl at idle

Adk1

So did my maiden voyage on my home lake today. Yesterday changed oil, installed new plugs and ran engine. Everything seemed fine but didn't idle well. Has half a tank left in from last year. Used marine stabil ethanol treatment and sea foamed when put away for winter, filled up tank today used more ethanol treatment. Launched. Engine starts no issues. Idles rough and will stall without throttle. Drove a few miles at least. Tried to setup for a troll, engine running rough at trolling speed. Pulled lines and ran for a good 10 miles on plane, no issues. Setup for a troll,again, engine ran ok bit not great at a trolling speed. Stalled out a few times. Need to give it throttle. Ran back to the launch. Stalled coming into the dock. Chewed through a quarter tank of gas on an 85 gallon tank. Thoughts?

I had same issue last year, changed fuel filter (water separator) worked better but not great, pulled the bowl off the carb. 3/4 full of water, wiped the bowl clean bolted her back on problem solved. Have to do my JD tractor twice a year since the corn juice been added to the fuel. Hope you figure it out!!

Yes there is a water separator, hadent been changed in 2 years since I bought the boat. Damn thing is impossible to get off. I guess I will have to figure out how to clean the bowl, no clue there. I fog the piss out of the carb with sea foam when she is put to bed for the winter

Definitely change that water separator filter. Also add the ethanol gas stabilizer on fill ups. Might want to consider using premium gas in boat if your not running it regularly. This ethanol does nothing but bad things for engines. At seasons end you should try and get tank empty as possible for winter storage. Also having problems with it in all my lawn equipment as it breaking down fuel lines and primer bulbs

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Definitely change that water separator filter. Also add the ethanol gas stabilizer on fill ups. Might want to consider using premium gas in boat if your not running it regularly. This ethanol does nothing but bad things for engines. At seasons end you should try and get tank empty as possible for winter storage. Also having problems with it in all my lawn equipment as it breaking down fuel lines and primer bulbs

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

:yes:  :yes:

It's not that expensive to have it professionally rebuilt. I think.it was 150 bucks including the kit. The reason I think.it's the carb and not gas is that it runs fine other than idle. I've had bad gas and it will run crappy at any speed.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am sure you are correct. Gonna replace the water Seperator filter Sunday and fire her up,and see what happens at idle

Dont get me wrong, i love Seafoam, and use it in every vehicle i have.  But sometimes it does cause rough idling.  In my bo at, it takes 32oz to treat the entire tank, which I believe is 42 gallons or so.  Where I fill up with gas, Stabil is already added.  Having 32oz of Seafom and a tank full of Stabil as well is ALOT of alcohol to have mixed in the gas.  It MAY be that.  Before you go for a carb rebuild I would run as much as that Seafoam treated gas out of the tank as you could.  remember, that Seafoam is dissolving a bunch of dirty buildup in the engine, cylinders, AND carb.  You have have just dislodged a bunch of **** and it needs burned through.  Just an Idea.  Certainly a Carb rebuild and fuel/water seperator change isnt going to hurt, and it should be done every few years or so.  But try getting some fresh gas in there.

Seafoam caused rough idling in my tractors and boat before when a full treatment was added.  nothing wrong with that, its doing its job.  Cleaning everything up.  Once I burned the treatment through, and added fresh gas, it ran great.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I replaced the water/fuel Seperator filter and it is still stalling at idle and at a troll, really knocking allot under 1000 rpm but once I give it enough throttle and over 1000 rpm it runs smooth and fine. Thoughts?

Rebuild the carburetor! Or at least open it up and clean it.

yeah I don't know how to do that so I guess I will be bringing it to our local mercruiser marina....

Rebuilding the carb. sounds and appears scary, but if you have any mechanical ability you can do it

yourself. A very clean area is a must!! I personally think you have a bad batch of fuel, and the above post is dead on by saying run that fuel out first, then if there is no improvement I would look into the carb,