problem with depth raider

my depth raider is having problems reading the probe  sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt read anything.  i cut 6 ft of cable off checked the rest there are almost no knicks in the cable and i put a new end on the cable.  i still am having trouble with it reading consistantly.  any suggestions would be greatly apreciated    thank you   i bought it used so maybe probe isnt working right?

Coating on the cable looks good and i just put a fresh battery in the probe. I taped the cable connection to the probe pretty good but ill take a pic and post it. Maybe the tape job isnt good enough

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

did you seal the back end of the probe with vasoline or anything to help keep water out?

also, are you using a clincher? or did you just strip some wire and tie the wire knot like you would with stainless dipsy diver wire?

and keep the antenna wet this helps alot or you will be seeing  - - -

Edited by BrokeOff

did you seal the back end of the probe with vasoline or anything to help keep water out?

also, are you using a clincher? or did you just strip some wire and tie the wire knot like you would with stainless dipsy diver wire?

and keep the antenna wet this helps alot or you will be seeing  - - -

Good advice.

Ok i did not use a klincher. I bought the same end that was on the cable when i bought it. I got it used with no instructions. Im going to buy one and try it.

Before you do that, throw a wet rag over the antenna - as in the coil that the cable runs through.

Or do what I did - sell the depthraider and buy an x4d from nothwoods for a net cost of less that 400 bucks.

Depth raider is a great product - I just had too many rookies on the boat that dont know how to play nice with the cable.

i think he means after he sold the depthraider and put that $ towards the new unit, it was another $400.   Coated cable sux!!  

I don't use the clincher, I like the wire knot   I stripped just enough coating off the cable to tie the wire knot to a snap swivel. To get the knot to cinch down I used a downrigger weight and hung it off a table (hang on to the rigger or it will tip off).   Then electrical taped the whole thing right up to the swivel.

I know some people tie direct to the probe bypassing the swivel.  This will give you a better signal, however you will not be able to remove the probe at the end of the day.

Edited by BrokeOff

Most likely it's a grounding deal or your antenna. The wet rag trick should fix it. Just wrap it wound your antenna and downrigger boom. If that's the case it's most likely the antenna.

I tried the wet rag around the antenna and it didnt make a difference. I only wrapped it arouns the antenna not the boom and antenna. Im going to get a new klincher amd put a nut and bolt through it hopefully that works