vhf radio's

hi to all, i would like to have a few oppinions concerning vhf radio's. i'm looking to buy one and have absolotely no idea what i need,where to buy it, or how to use it. i know read the instuctions dummy, at lest thats what the wife tells me, any how not looking to spend a whole lot of money just need the bare minimum to listen, share and get weather info. thanks to all and God bless -----rollie

I cant hear well .So after going around to different places that sell

vhf radios I picked a ICOM 602. Great tone quality on the speaker.

VHF is line of sight so the higher you get your antenna the farther you get out.

The 602 has a lot of features . I like to scan several channels when the fishings slow.If you have ever listened to the coast guard on a rescue,those guys are sharp...

just picked up a uniden"oceanus dcs"it has the memory scan,gps cap,almost too many features but ill figure it out in time ..the basic modes are still easy to use...........push the little button on the side of the mic and tell the most outragious lie as to how good the fishing is then keep repeating some stupid call to none all day ,or better yet yell TALLY HO every 10 minutes when it dead slow to pizz everyone off ..140.00 at bass pro

I'll second the Oceanus. I got my MMSI number from BoatUS (website) and have it linked into my Lowrance H2O handheld GPS. My five year old daughter knows if something happens to me, to press and hold the button under the red flap. I agree with Ray, lot's of features, some of my key ones.

> Can program the weather radio to only give you alerts for the area you are in. (I forget what it's called.)

> Can send your GPS location to another DSC radio if you know that persons MMSI number. Great for sharing locations, without alerting the fleet.

Don't go cheap with the ant. The better ant. are worth the money when you want to talk to boats arn't to close. Mount it as high as you can, and I wouldn't get the short ant.