Boat Control

Just picked up an Islander Hardtop w 4.3 power assist steering, and here is my dilemma.  I want this boat to handle best when trolling.  I will be moving over from my other boat a Sport Pilot auto pilot & a Mercury 15hp kicker with high thrust prop.  I know the Raymarine Sport Pilot wont run the power assist when main engine is not running so my options are

1) Take off the power assist, convert to Sea Star hydraulic steering and connect easy steer to the kicker?

2) Put the TR-1 Gold system on the kicker?

I read some posts that claimed the TR-1 Gold has trouble when it gets a little rough when the main outdrive is not turning also, giving you more rudder surface area?

I run a TR-1 with a Yamaha T9.9 on a 25' Penn Yan and it has done the job in some very rough conditions.

The only limiting factor is whether the kicker has enough thrust to overcome the wind, waves and currents not the TR-1 steering the kicker. The TR-1 actually does a better job controlling the boat in rough conditions than I could and helps the kicker get it done by being so quick to react to course changes.

I also use a Trollmaster with the TR-1 for throttle control.  I like the rotary controls on the Trollmaster along with the idle/resume and full throttle buttons.  Having two controls also allows you to program the TR-1 control for zig-zag steering.  The combination gives you the best of both worlds.

I would venture a guess and say the sea star hydraulic steering would be cheaper than the tr-1, and you are already used to the sport pilot unit.  Personally I would probably remove the power assist and put in the hydraulic steering.  

From a maintenance stand point the Sea Star hydraulic steering has a lot less crap to go wrong.

I have a 15HP(non Big Foot) Merc but I do run the Solas Big Foot wanna be prop which IMO has the best thrust of no less than 4 other props I have tried.  I'm leaning towards the TR1.  This forum is truly a great resource a thank you to all contributors. 

Hydraulic w/ez steer in my opinion, if you have an I/O drive. Or just try it w/o power assist like I do. No problem, makes newbie over-compensation mor difficult too. Older sport pilots make decent anchors, so go bungee or go high-end.

The out drive becomes a rudder and brake wit the kicker. Send kimosabe to the standard helm with wheel, water as necessary. Catch fish, repeat, protect the keel.

Jarrett

Edited by ReelPower

Call Kevin Jerge from the Wilson boat yard. I have the same situation as you. He put an independent steering drive on my kicker and a master switch at the helm to switch back and forth

I have the sea star on an outboard and just installed a 9.9 kicker last weekend. I wanted to be able to steer from my wheel and not push buttons all day. I also didn't love the idea of an EZ steer, so I kept looking and found that sea star has a kicker cable for steering that works off the main motor. Got to do a quick shakedown on sunday and everything worked great. I can independently raise and lower both motors without any issue. It was a bit pricey at $400, but so far I am very happy with the performance.

post-150486-0-71280200-1400774404_thumb.jpg