What's your thumper rod set-up?

9ft Talora roller rod , 700lc Takota reel, 35lb wire,one pound ball 3 way swivel , Atomik Frog dodger black and silver Evileye. Greaser killer accounts for the odd King on occasion. Bottom scrubbing rig for sure.

Edited by bigblue

Thanks Joe,

That is what I was looking for.  Its obviously easy to run it off the bottom, I want to be able to run it suspended, that dive chart will help make it repeatable after catching a fish.

Edited by DJ 717

It initially got coined a "thumper rod" because it was used to troll dodger/flys suspended with 8-16oz+ lead balls on wire line, and you could tell when you were at the speed where the dodger was running right because the tip of the rod would "thump" as the dodger would snap back and forth.  When the tip action changed to a rhythmic rolling action you knew the speed was too fast and the dodger was spinning out.

My thumper rod is a 6.6' ML action Shimano Tallus saltwater roller guide rod.  It has a good action, yet a pound ball doesn't overload it so you still see the dodger action.  I'll check the model number when I get home tonite.

Here is a video I took of a thumper rod.  I like running an 18" dropper to the weight.  Helps keep things off bottom when you touch and lets more dodger action get to your rod tip.  At 2.7 mph, you need about 300 feet of wire to get you in the 100-110 foot range with a 16 oz. ball.