Never seen so many dead and dying alewives as I did this morning near Sandy creek . There were literally thousands of them . Bet that had something to do with the poor fishing , the browns were stuffed full . This happened overnight , as there were not nearly that many yesterday .

I was out with Fisherman85 yesterday and as we passed through the creek they started jumping everywhere and the gulls were absolutely loving it. They started dive bombing the bait and most of them were succesful in picking them up from right off the surface.

I caught a brown just outside of sandy last Friday that had 11 alewives in it (if my memory serves me correctly) one of which was 7 or 8 inches. Id say that they definitely contributed to shutting the fish off. But it is right about that time that its hot every day and the fish are starting to scatter as well :(

Fished the Welland last week  and they were thick like that too. Spoke with one of the guys from a Michigan Team fishing the WHI and they went out to 400 ft of water and  marked a solid  200ft of bait down. . He just kept shaking his head saying never scene anything like that on Lake Michigan...LOL

Wilson was packed with them on Saturday. We should have trolled the marina...

Funny you say that. We were discussing where to go sat for the WHI. We were east just past the plant friday(we didn't go far enough east) and werent marking much bait or fish and the water was COLD. As we were at the harbor docked we saw bait EVEYWHERE in the harbor so we opted to watch the shotgun start from behind the pack and head out the harbor a bit and drop em in 8 FOW where the water was a bit warmer on the surface and bait was present. We didn't see much action so at 9 we pulled rods and headed to the bar. We found a small patch of warmer water where the temp was consistent from the surface to 20 ft down and both bait and fish were present but we only managed to get 1 king and a few lakers. GREAT tourney though Edited by d_balm24

Just got back from Sandy as well.   Gulls are loving this.   Alewives everywhere.     Didn't trip a rod today.   Guessing whatever fish may still be in close are full to bursting at this point.

At the oak .Had a lot of trips today but it seems like they must be smallmouth.  Go to pick up the rod and the fish was gone.  Did lose one nice King to a bad leader.  One brown boated. 

Be thankful that all that bait is feeding the sporting fish. Maybe see increased weights this year. I would love to have baitfish like that on my home lake. Or should I say the Dead Sea that I call my home lake