More crappies

Kevin J Legg

Geez Kevin... you're going to end up with "Popeye arms" from hauling in all those Crappies and gills :)  Some great eating right there...

Once again the fish were scattered along the weed edge. Most were in 7-12 fow near or above the weeds. Jigs are down about 3' from the bobber. I actually fish a jig with a second hook above it like a drop shot rig with the jig for weight. That way you fish 2 minnows or plastics on each rod and cover two different depths. It is a very effective method for panfish. We are also catching many bass which are released.

Nice job Kevin. My father in law and i went on one of the indian river chains of lakes fri.sat and sun all in the afternoon and before evening also caught quite a few crappies kept around 15 to 20 each time out. They are alot of fun to catch caught them drifting under a bobber 2 to 3 feet below the bobber also on plastic.

Edited by mhtrapper

You know it's May when your dinner consists of fresh crappie and fresh picked asparagus from the garden and nothing else. Especially when you eat till you're stuffed and there are still leftovers.

That's exactly what we had tonight for supper! Only the panfish fillets and asparagus were topped off by strawberry shortcake!

That's one specie of fish I never caught, a crappie, my father and my uncle caught loads of them where the Perch River dumps into the Black River Bay, there used to be a huge weeping willow tree that hung over the water, very deep hole 30ft or more with 8ft all around, I used to call it the " who's hole" you never knew what was in the hole, one time smallies, the next catties, large mouth, what ever but every time I was with it wasn't crappie. Maybe this year LOL.

I fished Butterfield today and the water was very clear. Fish were nearly everywhere along the shorelines. Crappies  and rock bass were on brush piles, gills were right on the surface with their backs actually out of the water, many large bass and we saw several garfish and pike. Kept about 3/4 of a pail of mixed panfish many on a flyrod popper.

• 3 weeks later...

WTG Kevin. I didn't have much action on the Crappies around here this season mainly because of the flooding and a couple of my main spots seem "fished out" now because of the fishing pressure here etc.