changing drain plug to outside on Lund Pro Sport?

So I have a 1900 Pro Sport Lund yr 2000.  The drain plug is on the inside of the boat.  I have to push the lines/cables out of the way in front of the motor, unscrew and open the round portal door, reach down and put in and to take out....a major pain and I get dirty all the time.  IT is getting real old..and  I feel like I'm getting to old as I have to get back up on the boat, lie down and reach in right up past my elbow. So the drain plug is your standard rubber plug type with the t-center that you turn to tighten/expand.  It is attached to a small chain so it is easy to keep track of.

So, any thoughts about simply putting the plug in from the outside..same type of plug or is that asking for problems?  Most boats I have seen that has the drain plug attached from the outside are the screw in types requiring a wrench to turn in and out. Obviously, last thing I want is it coming out and my boat filling up.  NOt an experience I want!

I've only had one boat but it takes a regular drain plug like you mention, goes in from the outside.  Never had an issue or even thought about it coming out, most of the time the water is trying to push the plug into the boat anyway.  I do replace them regularly when they get harder to tighten but that's about it.  I've taken it out on purpose while on the water but that's another topic!

i know that it is way easer to remove when on the outside , the downside to this is and it happened to me. I was out of OSWEGO got caught in a storm took on water so i needed to pull my plug and run to drain water out of boat because my pump could not keep up Itt was great that it was on the inside that i could remove and put back in.

Edited by emtystringer

i know that it is way easer to remove when on the outside , the downside to this is and it happened to me. I was out of OSWEGO got caught in a storm took on water so i needed to pull my plug and run to drain water out of boat because my pump could not keep up Itt was great that it was on the inside that i could remove and put back in.

I have never done this, I am too afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back in the hole....

Edited by Chas0218

My 2008 Lund came with the drain plug attached to a chain that was anchored inside the boat. The plug was on the outside and would dangle when it was removed. I have since replaced the original and I just install from the outside. Never had an issue.

Oh yeah if you're ever in a situation where the bilge can't keep up you probably want to invest in a hand operated bilge pump. They work great and have saved me a couple times in the past when the bracket for my outboards took on water (plug let go and no bilge pump in them). By pumping the water out I was able to get on plane and keep anymore from entering the bracket allowing me to return to port. Just make sure you get a pump long enough for the application. You'd be surprised how hard it is to pump out water bent over for a period of time.

Spike

Edited by CaptSpike