Owasco Coming FLTA on Owasco.

Pre fished Owasco  tue. Finally got my Dad to go fishing with me again. Been over a year since he has fished with me. It was good to be able to fish with him again (even though he kept trolling at 3.5 -4 mph). I hope he continues to go with me, and his health allows him to go. So, Owasco looks to have a better population of fish than Keuka did. East shore was loaded with fish in the 20-60 fow. In the middle of the lake their were also tons of fish in the 20-40 ft range. Lots of big hooks on the bottom and quite a bit of bait. South end color was a bit green, but the north end was almost brown. Surface water temp was 58-60 deg. Quite a change from Seneca and Keuka, but Owasco is a small lake. Gonna try and get back over their before June 1st, but not sure I will be able to fit it in. I believe the Owaco weigh in is gonna be an impressive one! Should be some nice fish weighed in. 

We lost a wheel bearing on the way home, but you'll have that every now and then. 

Glad you got your dad out.... Yeah that lake has been know to hold some bruisers but hasn't treat me well in the last couple years so im hoping better this time around ... Looking forward to it tho....

Mike

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I fish Owasco exclusively, and can attest to the amount of bait and true giants that live in the lake. The absence of lamprey and lack of fishing pressure is allowing the lake rebound after the overstocking/walleye introduction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Looking forward to Owasco! Nice report Jason. Getting out with your dad is great, my dad is not a fisherman... my grandfather was my mentor but a buddy's dad was the one that got me into trolling. I still remember the old paper graph that he would bring home and look over for hours, lol. (70's)

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Joe Joe, I got the five leaders ready!

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I gotta see this.... After you guys run one again you will probably add it back in to your tourney arsenal...lol

Mike

Got one in basement gathering dust never use it! But back in 2006 I took one to owasco dropped it down in the south west corner of the lake and trolled threw a school of bait. Rigg rod starts bumping then taking out drag bring it in top line small mouth next one down walleye then a nice bow, bottom leader had a small laker. Laughed my butt off. They do work but haven't run one since clients don't like them. If I don't book up for the first I'll come play on owasco I got it off now.

Got one in basement gathering dust never use it! But back in 2006 I took one to owasco dropped it down in the south west corner of the lake and trolled threw a school of bait. Rigg rod starts bumping then taking out drag bring it in top line small mouth next one down walleye then a nice bow, bottom leader had a small laker. Laughed my butt off. They do work but haven't run one since clients don't like them. If I don't book up for the first I'll come play on owasco I got it off now.

Nice!! They are not fun for clients thats for sure but they do put a lot of fish in the boat during tourneys... Hear a lot of guys talk and run thumper rigs for lakers but put that 40 ounces lead on a Seth Green rig and you have a great thumper rig get the job done almost everytime. .

Mike

Back in the early eighties a buddy and I were fishing Owasco and we did notice a bunch of boats at the ramp but didn't think much about it until we came back in and realized that a derby was going on there. I inquired about the current standings on the leader board and a 9 pound something laker was leading. I asked them to weigh the two we had just for chuckles and mine was 11 pounds and change and my buddy's fish was a little over 10. The 9 pound laker held up and we were kicking ourselves in the butt all the way home for not knowing about the derby.  :lol:  It is a great little lake with some real nice fish in it.

Not only lakers but there are monster seaferellan browns in there or at least there were... We caught a brown on a JUG RIG over there one year that was pushing 15 pounds pre fishing for a tourney... I remember my dad giving me a hard time " you gonna bring that jug in or what" Then when I handed it to him his tune changed really quick... lol.. Thing was a beast and was colored up beautifully. ...

Mike

So Joe, to answer your question 6 rods is good and 10 lures is good. But im not really comfortable with "limiting" myself on a tourny day. If you fish Seneca a lot, maybe we do this on a Sat or Sun on Seneca. Probably soon, while top water is still good fishing. Maybe the weekend after owasco? Let me know. And what about 5 leader rigs? I got lots of 309's and a ton of roller guide rods. I can loan you, but you tie your own rigs. I might even tie one for you as an example. I can tie a rig in 20 mins. Let me know what you think.

For some crazy reason everybody fishes that lake on the southern half. The real monsters are in the deep hole north and west of the middle point. I like to fish it on the northern side roughly opposite the boy scout camp pulling leadcore and sawbellies off the otter boards and super slims of the riggers and zigzagging to give everything the proper speed.

North end was hot! But what will happen now with all the water being dumped into it? Gonna have to go back and see. I hope, just got all the parts to fix the damage done by losing a tire and axle. Luckily it wasn't the axle with the brakes on it. Should be ready to fish again by Sun morn. Yee haw!