Missing Man on Lake Ontario

There's a guy who launched out of Wilson harbor with his 16 footer and has been missing for 2 days now.  I really wish conditions were better for a search.  It's possible he's still alive, that his motor conked out and he's adrift out there.  But finding him is going to be tough in this rain and he is pretty exposed to the elements until he's found.

Wish my wife hadn't heard the story.  My boat is the same size as his and she worries.

I hope they find him alive but if he was a long way out in a 16 ft boat with the weather we got could be bad news. I personaly would never be out there in less than a 19 ft  boat and in that small of a boat would be watching the weather very close so I could get back in. Hopefully it was just the motor gave out and he hasn't been seen yet and is ok. Praying for his safe return.

We should never forget how dangerous it can be out there.  The news report said that his cell phone was left in the truck.  Bad move.  Aside from all the required gear (fire extinguisher, flares, horn, life vests), a cell phone and charger, compass, bucket for bailing, GPS, emergency raingear, and a kicker motor can all make the difference between an annoyance and an international search and rescue.

Even something like a drift sock could keep your bow pointed into the waves if you found yourself without power.

I was in Wilson last week and saw a small boat out more than a couple miles offshore on a day with a good west wind chop. Couldnt believe he was out there that day. Hope they find this person in good condition. 

I have gone out of Oswego in my 14 ft. But I have a marine radio and make contact with guys I know out there. Just in case something happens.

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Unfortunately...  WHEN something does happen...You will just be the next statistic. 

All you guys with the smaller boats say the same thing. 

"I'm really careful"

" I watch the weather"

" I am really experienced"

" I pick my days" 

Do any of you ever think that those are the same things that the guys who drown every year thought?   :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

I've solo'ed in my 22ft Islander, and I'm life-vest/hand-held radio/whistle-equipped on my person, when doing so............with my cell phone in my pocket.

I'd MUCH rather have someone else with me.

Hope that guy gets back on safe ground.

Just read the article with the description of the boat. Sounds just like the boat i saw out there less than a week ago on a choppy day. What a shame.

Well, since the authorities have given up their search, it should go without saying, that we, as local fishermen, will be on the lookout for any signs of this poor guy and his boat. This is not a good way for the season to begin.

Fishing out of a 16' boat myself, This really makes me think about how things can go wrong out there! My thoughts and prayers are with his family. I couldn't imagine leaving my daughter, mother, and wife with that kind of pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It is always saddening to hear about something like this. This makes me think twice about going out alone, even on a small lake. It is very possible to fall overboard when trolling and watching as your boat pulls away. I guss the best thing to do is to take every precaution when out alone to prevent a mishap from becoming a tragety.

My heart goes out to this man and his family.

I posted earlier about finding a missing person with his fly down. I am not being sarcastic or disrespectful in that statement. When I took an emergency response on water training I was told that statisticly, 50% of the time  male person whom has drowned via a boat instance the body is found with their front pant zipper open. Meaning they were taking a leak over the side of the boat in a standing position and fell out. I thought that was crazy but does make sence particularly in a smaller craft.

It does happen. I lost a good buddy that way on Seneca Lake back in the late 80's and he was a Charter Captain too. Apparently hit his head on the way and must have been unconscious. I was apparently the last person to see him alive and speak with him at the launch ramp....and part of the search party....very haunting feeling to this day.