Missing Man on Lake Ontario

I posted earlier about finding a missing person with his fly down. I am not being sarcastic or disrespectful in that statement. When I took an emergency response on water training I was told that statisticly, 50% of the time  male person whom has drowned via a boat instance the body is found with their front pant zipper open. Meaning they were taking a leak over the side of the boat in a standing position and fell out. I thought that was crazy but does make sence particularly in a smaller craft.

I took a boat safety class this past February and heard the same thing about 1/2 the victims with their fly down taking a leak over the side of the boat and falling out.  When you think about what it would be like having two riggers, three planers lines on each side with otters and a chute rod.  Then someone falling over and the water is 44 degrees in two to three footer waves.  Trying to turn the boat around and clear everything.  They were telling us that if that ever happens, at least one person should keep his eye on the person in the water and not take your eyes off of them.  If you look away for even a few seconds you might lose sight of them.  It's a lot safer to have a pee bottle than trying to hang off the side or back.  Just my two cents.

Yes Mike....your brother Bobby and I were on PT's boat during the search too. Don was a real good guy and it was a shame....and that tragedy is why I always carry a "pee can" in my boat and why I wear my life jacket when fishing solo. Just about every time I look at the sea wall I can see his boat on the rocks....even after all these years...and just hours before that we were joking and sharing fishing information...it happens just that fast folks.....

Man, that brought back some memories with him and wrestling, what an awesome coach and mentor figure. Taught us everything he knew about fishing. I remember getting a letter from hi when I was in boot camp that summer. I can't even imagine how this family up in Lewiston is coping. I hope they can find some closure soon.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Yep real neat guy and hell of a bass fisherman. That kind of family trauma and shock is something that families seldom truly get over....another reason for folks to be and stay safe out there....think about the effect on your family left behind if things happen to go bad.

It is surely sad enough when someone departs unexpectedly but when they do so "missing" it is a double tragedy/trauma in terms of the lack of closure and inability to properly grieve.  I feel especially bad for those folks left behind.

Unfortunatly, it takes about 8-12 days for a body to surface particularly due to the temps. We had an unfortunate accident on our home lake last spring. two guys drowned. The emergency services guys told me that the bodies will sink but then surface after 8-10 days. I would expect that this weekend some unfortunatly soul fishing out there will find him. so sad...

When I take my twin daughters out with me I put their life jackets on which are designed to roll them face up should something tragic happen, I also have high gunwales, when they are roaming around the back or fighting a fish I tether them to a cleat with a 6ft safety rope, I couldn't imagine losing one of my girls doing something I love to do. They complain, but it's dads boat and his rules if you want to go fishing or go for a ride. Sorry to hear such a terrible happening. My heart goes out to the family.

Out of respect to this gentleman who most likely lost his life, please keep in mind that he may have done everything properly (life jackets, float plan, whatever) and may have died from a heart attack, brain bleed, etc. and then fell overboard.

With the benefit of hindsight, it is always easy for all of us to give our "two cents" but this may have been nothing more than a natural death that happened to occur on a boat in rough seas.

May he rest in peace

Out of respect to this gentleman who most likely lost his life, please keep in mind that he may have done everything properly (life jackets, float plan, whatever) and may have died from a heart attack, brain bleed, etc. and then fell overboard.

With the benefit of hindsight, it is always easy for all of us to give our "two cents" but this may have been nothing more than a natural death that happened to occur on a boat in rough seas.

May he rest in peace

Well said.

May he rest in peace

momay,  Your point is well taken and we shouldn't jump to conclusions about cause, but I see a lot of good coming out of this discussion for those that may be taking or plan to take small boats out on this lake.  As earlier said, everyone thinks that they're cautious and pick their conditions wisely but Lake Ontario, or any of the Great Lakes can easily and quickly make that situation deadly. 

Go to glangler.com and read Dave Mulls story about having to be rescued last year. You can never be too cautious. Reading Daves story made me rethink safety.

Edited by GAMBLER

Lake Ontario is nothing to be afraid of BUT it is something you have to respect.  You have to be safety conscious ALL THE TIME.  You have to know your gear, your rig and your capabilities and always have an eye on the weather and your surroundings.  You have to be able to draw a line and say "NO, it's not worth it."  There's no dishonor or shame in not going out.

I mean no disrespect to our unfortunate fellow angler and my prayers go out to his family.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Very sorry to hear about this for the family and for him. I was  fishing Olcott May 3-10. Beautiful lake but so powerful. Weather radio broadcasted siren warnings twice....enough to get me into port on time. One moment a nice day, then almost instantly 40 mile an hour squalls .

Rest in peace fellow fisherman.

MikeP