I have always kept them as options especially when things are slow I even have the larger size ocean variety :) I also keep some dodgers handy....new school isn't the only school :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I have always kept them as options especially when things are slow I even have the larger size ocean variety :) I also keep some dodgers handy....new school isn't the only school :lol:

Do you mean the 3 and 5 ounce bucktails?

I troll jig those for stripers, but last year I tried the 3 ouncers on the lake and ended up with a salmon or 2 and a lame arm.

Edited by rolmops

They catch more fish when the bite is hot...... :lol:

Not for my team. All of our double digit days are mainly using paddles and flies. Sometimes spoons and sometimes meat. We will sometimes throw a squid bait into the mix and flies still catch more fish at least 10:1. I've tried squid when the bite is hot and I've learned that I'd rather have a fly on that rod as generally it is more productive. Anyhow I'm glad squid is working for you, I'm certainly not telling you to stop using them. But I on the other hand will continue to mainly rely on paddles and flies instead.

Do you mean the 3 and 5 ounce bucktails?

I troll jig those for stripers, but last year I tried the 3 ouncers on the lake and ended up with a salmon or 2 and a lame arm.

Nope I was referring to these pictured here along with a normal sized squid. I have also trimmed of a few inches of their tails because I felt they were too long for fresh water use.

post-145411-0-04604200-1400332079_thumb.jpg

Once the thermocline sets up, My 3 rod "search mode"  still includes the old school rubber squid.

Low rigger with Evil Eye high speed dodger / squid with a fixed cheater above, ( spoon or Apex )

wire diver with flasher / fly

high rigger with spoon or Apex and a fixed cheater above.

This gets 5 different baits in the strike zone using 3 rods.

Once the fish tell me what they want - or don't want, I change up the offerings.

Just my $.02

I still use the old Jonflys on a Hotspot Cop Car in August caught a 32lb king and some mid to high 20lb last season. They don't always produce but they do get hot like most any other bait. Don't rule out any bait or set-up they all have their day .

Can you run squids behind flashers (instead of flies) or do you have to use a dodger ?

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Of course you can!

Play with different leader lengths and hook sizes to get different actions as well...