I bay 5/18 am Jiggin kings

hoping to fish Ontario out of my own boat for the first time and was wondering if the launch near the mouth of the bay is paved, would rather tow boat up with the wagon instead of the truck for the gas savings if possible to launch with my front wheel drive wagon. Also I'm kinda limited with only a 16' boat and a 9.9 so any pointers or if i should try a different launch to be closer to the bite, any info will be greatly appreciated!

Well this morning was pretty epic, My buddy bailed on me last minute so I decided to wait a bit and launch around 6:15 so I had some light to work with. Headed east out of the channel in 10-20' and put out 2 church boards, one pulling a purple prism thunderstick and one with a firetiger scatter minnow. Put a chicken wing stinger down 7' on the rigger as well. Fifteen minutes in I had a rip on the purple prism, after getting it to the near the boat I had a nice 10#+ brown  pop off while I was trying to net and steer. That would happen 3 more times before I finally got a net under a 9-10#er. Purple prism was hot 80 back taking probably 10+ rips and putting 5 nice browns in the boat. Played around with other colored sticks and cranks on the other board but nothing yielded more than 1 or two bites. Rigger was dead shallow too. Around 9 I'd had enough of the browns between dodging all the big boats(I think I steared clear enough not to piss anybody off). Went out to the west side of the mudline coming outta the bay and started in 55' and headed north. About twenty minutes in the rigger parked at 55 over 70 pulling a flinstone blue jamaican sunrise spoon popped and before I knew if I had a 19'' king wrapped up in my copper causing one hell of a tangle luckily no copper was lost. Sorted that out and put the rigger back down as well as a 300' copper with a sd/fly and a 10 color pulling a stinger. Popped another 4# king on the rigger and stumbled over a massive cloud of bait that was loaded with fish. I pulled everything and went back over the bait and dropped a 1oz glow jighead with a 4'' white berkely ripple shad. On the first drop I had 3 fish rocketing up and I was hooked up in no time with a nice 8# or so king. As quickly as I could get the jig back down I was getting hit, landed 5 and lost twice as many all between 5-15 pounds. Ended the day losing a monster that I would guess was 25# that straightened my hook right out while trying to net it.

All in all a solid trip for my first time fishing ontario in my boat. Woulda been a lot easier if I had another person in the boat!

water temps in shallow ranged from 45-60, out deep in the clear water 42.

LOTS of debris floating, Very difficult to navigate out over the deeper water.

post-149101-0-48885800-1400440720_thumb.jpgpost-149101-0-21004900-1400440709_thumb.jpgpost-149101-0-16361200-1400440705_thumb.jpgpost-149101-0-80226500-1400440697_thumb.jpgpost-149101-0-96540200-1400440692_thumb.jpg

Edited by zackblain

Awesome guys thanks for the info, going to try out in the lake first, if that doesn't work out or the weather turns then we'll head for the bay. The reports I've been reading say there is still a decent near shore bite for trout/salmon, is this true?

We had a decent brown bite east of Shipbuilders today in 10-20 fow. No steelies or salmon though in the shallow water for us. The best action was out towards Webster Park and Four Mile Creek. Good luck.

One ounce northland glow jig head with a pearl 4' Berkley ripple Shad paddle tail plastic, that combo has probably netted me more trout than any other set up I've fished

same set up i use for jigging lakers through the ice

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app