Fairhaven Weekend May 17-18

We got a little bit of a late start Saturday morning and headed east out of the chute. Wind was howling and it was lumpy. Set up in front of the park and fished 8-10fow picked up a nice brown on a silver w black back rattlin rogue off the boards. Had to go 3mph just to keep on track in the wind. Fished all the way down to the corner with no results. Worked the area on the corner and headed back. Picked up another decent brown on a black/gold rapala and circled around and went back through the area, but nothing. Trolled back to chute and that was it. Seemed the same for everyone.

Sunday morning up and at them real early with great expectations and a plan. Go east in 8-12ft past the first bluff and if nothing happens turn out to deeper water in search of bait then head west. Couldn't get them to fire so we made our way out to 23' of water and trolled west. Finally found a decent screen and then all hell broke loose! Something slammed our clown smithwiick rogue flatlined 120 of the board and started jumping and peeling drag on our 12lb test rig. After a long and fun fight, we slipped the net under an 18lb king. What a blast! Unfortunately we could not get anything else to go all morning and headed back. It was still a great day!

post-151524-14004613262169_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice fish Barndog! I fished Fair Haven Saturday and Sunday mornings. My buddy Gary and his wife were with me on Saturday. She was a good sport, but I think she was pretty miserable. I was worried that sea sickness was going to be an issue. My 220 Islander roles around a lot when its rough. Trolled East from the chute, planning to head for Moon Beach. We picked up a 20" Steely right of the bat in 13 fow, on a firetiger thunderstick off a planer board. That was it for a while. We made it past the second bluff and turned back, due the waves and wind. We got a small brown of the first bluff trolling west on a stinger alewife set on a 9' rigger. Trolled to the chute and headed in for some golf.

Sunday morning Gary and I went together. The wives opted to sleep in. We launched at 5:45am expecting it to be a good day. Trolled East all the way to Moon Beech, with nothing to show for it. We made the turn to head back and wham. Picked up a 6lb Brown in 24 fow, on a Perch pattern Bass Pro Shops stick bait off a planner board. We fished that area for a while and didn't  move a rod, and motored back to the chute. We did see a lot of bait on the surface, and even a few fish chasing. We just could not connect. We covered depths from 9 to 30 fow, both days. Sounds like it was a slow weekend. I hope others did better than me. Good luck to all.

Dave

Dave - If the gut bucket at the marina cleaning station is any indication of how this weekend was... Not much in there.

Saw you out there in the same area. It makes the great days a lot more special when you have to fight through the slow ones.

Tight lines and Screaming drags!

Randy

I was out there too. Fished from Little Sodus West on Saturday. We were getting beat up pretty bad in my 18 footer so we decided to trailer down to Owasco and troll for Lakers. I heard most of the finger lakes got flooded and had tons of debris. We picked up two lakers, that was it. Fished again all day Sunday. Headed East this time, started at the chute, trolled past the bluffs to the point and back again. Did that twice. Lost the biggest brown I've ever seen. Came right to the surface and with one tail flap, my leader was gone (12lb). Landed one Coho, and lost another brown due to a snap swivel failure  :puke: .....

This was my first attempt at trolling for Browns up there. I'm from PA. We had high hopes for this trip, and saved up $ for awhile to make it, but it ended up being a bust. I got checked by the Angler survey boat on my way in on Sunday. Seemed everyone had about as much luck as I did. I think we did everything right, I'm hoping I can blame the cold front that came through......

Randy,

You got it, we all have bad days, and they really make you appreciate the good ones. Our last trip up was my best ever for Browns, went 46 for 57 the day after Easter, Djj717 (Dennis) posted it. I am sure things will pick up.

I think I saw you out there, you pasted me to the inside in front of the second bluff? I heard you radio that you had a big fish on. I am looking forward to getting up there again soon. Dennis and I are doing the Seneca Lake Derby this weekend. Hopefully we can get back in two weeks. Good luck, hope you get into some fish!

Dave

Ha! Nope that was'nt us. We were alone everytime we had a fish and stayed off the radio... Hey, good luck at the derby!

Randy

Barndog, we were there for 2 weeks got there the day before Easter had the best spring fishing ever 30-40 a day a mix of all including 7 kings I have never been there and seen the lack of fisherman there. Going back last 2 weeks of July

Baitnh - You are gonna nail 'em during those two weeks! I'm trying to get some extended time off myself for late July or August.