Autopilot

kicknback

Do you know if it is hydraulic steering or cable steering?  Thats the key difference that will point you towards what autopilot you should choose.

Do you troll on just one motor or are you using a kicker?

Do you know if it is hydraulic steering or cable steering? Thats the key difference that will point you towards what autopilot you should choose.

Do you troll on just one motor or are you using a kicker? I use one motor I dont think I have cable steering

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Most likely with a boat that size you will have hydraulic steering.  I would look at the Garmin GHP autopilot with Shadowdrive and a Garmin smart pump.  But that is just my opinion.  

• 2 weeks later...

How about for a 221 Islander 4.3L mercruiser. yes, power steering.

For an islander you need the type where the autopilot mounts to the steering wheel. I had a raymarine sport pilot and it worked great. It's still working working fine after 13 years on my islander that I sold to my friend.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Most likely with a boat that size you will have hydraulic steering.  I would look at the Garmin GHP autopilot with Shadowdrive and a Garmin smart pump.  But that is just my opinion.  

X2, Garmin unit is great. I'd think 100% that it is hydraulicly steered. If not he probably has Popeye arms, lol.

Spike

I use the Raymarine Evolution and have loved every minute of it.  :yes:

Ditto on the Evolution.  It tends to freak out a bit in 4 footers...but so do all of the rookies on the boat :)

Just another plug for the Raymarine Evolution - it tracks better and better each time I take it out.  The system seems to learn your boat style. 

I usually touch the wheel 2 times or so once I leave the boat slip - that with an average of 6 hours of trolling.  I dont even touch the wheel to do turns - I either use the turn 180 pattern or the 360 circle.  You can set it to turn either direction and the diameter of the turn.  Turns perfect with dragging 6 boards without a single tangle. 

You guys with the autopilots are taking away all the fun...just think of all the tangles, and opportunities for swearing and throwing things you are missing out on :lol:

You guys with the autopilots are taking away all the fun...just think of all the tangles, and opportunities for swearing and throwing things you are missing out on :lol:

True true - now I only have to be hacked of about how I only get 8 fish in a trip when other guys are going 17 for 22 (who's going to eat all of those fish anyways :) )

Ditto on the Evolution.  It tends to freak out a bit in 4 footers...but so do all of the rookies on the boat :)

Ya mine does a lot of searching but the track line still looks really straight.  I'm betting with the GPS tied in she does a little better. 

I too have the evolution and love the thing.  It is worth its weight in gold especially if you fish in any water with larger than 1' chop.

I have a 21ft seaswirl with 5.0 liter. It used to have a raymarine sport pilot on it, but it failed what would you recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same boat that used to have a Raymarine Sportpilot as well. I replaced it two summers ago with a Raymarine SPX-5R and could not be more happy with the unit. The Evolution is the new replacement for the SPX-5R. Best investment ever....