14 ft Trolling Tips and Boat Mods

Hey guys,

Any of you troll the Big O in your 14 ft aluminum boats? Reason I ask is I am downsizing from my bass boat to a 14 footer while I save up for something nicer. Thing is I would still like to get after spring browns and some standard trolling (weather permitting of course).

So I guess I am asking how you guys rig up the boat and how your setup looks. Initially I am thinking two wire dipsy rods and a lead core down the shoot. In the spring probably two inline planers and a split shot line. Course I would need to figure out rod holder placement.

Pics of your rigs are definitely welcome!

post-147332-14005151798399_thumb.jpgpost-147332-14005152387902_thumb.jpgpost-147332-14005152848761_thumb.jpgpost-147332-14005153470985_thumb.jpgthis was the 15footer that I used everything was mounted to boards that could be removed in seconds depending on what kind of fishing you wanted to do was able to run 6 boards at once no problem with the trees and also had 2 walker electric riggers and at one point had a quad dipsy set up won a tournament on the finger lakes with this boat used it for 3 winters and enjoyed every minute

I hope you are going to be using a deep v, deep gunwale and wide bottom 14 footer (before considering rigging it)

14' just seems so small for Lake Ontario.  I used to use a 14' boat for perch fishing but was only 1000' at most from shore and also in the security of a bay.  I didn't use it out on the open water nor would I feel comfortable.  Adding all that weight from the gear will make that boat feel very tippy and ride low in the water.

It all depends on the boat I would not have hesitated to take mine out if It was not such a long tow for the little trailer just have to be wise on the weather and keep a eye on the sky!! First little breeze you have to go and as for gear mine was loaded with tackle every trip yes have to be paying attention to what you do but it's possible to fish from them and plus no one follows the little boats so can get away from the crowds

Used a 16 footer for 2 years. No problem. I got caught few times in some nasty Sh*t and always made it back. Listen to the weather plus have a Working radio. Also make sure you have enough lifejackets and flares is SHTF.

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't mean to offend anyone, I just remember my old 1960 Duracraft with low sides and short transom. A good friend of mine had a 14' Lund we fished walleye out of 7 or 8 years ago and it worked great.  I would just hate for someone get hurt because someone said it was fine. We don't know everyones comfort level or expertise.

Edited by Chas0218

i fish a 14 footer.  I fish on Lake O in the spring and fall when the fish are near shore the rest of the time i'm on seneca lake or some other small body of water.  pay super close attention to the weather for the couple days leading up to your trip and look at the weather for the next day incast the weather man is a little late in his timeline.  It can be done but know your boat well before you tryi it