Walleye fishing at Port Clinton, OH?

markmonkey1

Anyone here fish western basin of Lake Erie? I'm heading there next month and it's been quite a few years since I've walleye fished. Do they still use Erie Dearies, or mainly troll these days? Should I bring the riggers?

I'll be in Sandusky (Cedar Point), should I launch out Sandusky bay or better fishing out of Port Clinton?

I would check the post on ohiogamefishing.com .   look at lake erie fishing reports, lots of good info here,   Just like this site only for walleyes in erie western side.

good luck Rick

Where I grew up fishing (and my first job at 14 y/o at cedar point). Port Clinton will give you a short run in the boat, but even launching in Sandusky bay it's not far. Much different tactics then Ontario - not sure what your walleye background is. Worm harnesses, Erie Derie's, you can't go wrong there. If you find em, you'll have a fun day! Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I used to troll for walleye out of Erie Pa before this king salmon thing took over for me! :) So, I have my supply of crawler harnesses and small stinger spoons and a few reef runners. Seems like trolling, rather than drifting, is the ticket.

I'll check out those other sites, thanks !

We used to go to Sandusky every year for years. The first time we went out we stayed in a condo. And the guy who had the condos also had a charter business so we booked a charter with him just to see how they do things out there. They like to drift with bottom bouncers and big gold bladed harnesses, I took my hand held GPS. We took our own boats also, which this guy we booked the trip with also had slips in a marina, so we had slips for our boats which were patrolled 24/7 very nice to know your stuff was safe. On our first charter we had our 6 man limit and the captains by 11:30 am and we booked it for the whole day, so we went for perch till finally we had enough, roughly 1:30 pm, and called it a day. The captain was really a cool guy and worked his a$$ off for us, he mentioned we were one of the best groups he ever took out, basically all he had to do was drive the boat we did the rest as we had no mate and didn't need one, back at the dock he wanted to clean our fish but we told him we are more than capable of doing that, he was floored!! Man if all my trips were like this with you guys he told us, we also wanted to tip him but he refused to take a tip on the account we where in early and wanted to clean our own fish, so we all put $20.00 in his glove box when he left the boat to talk to someone else and we took the fish box off the boat and grabbed the hose and bucket and mops and all 6 of us had his boat spic& span in no time. Left him $120.00 in the glove box and left. Later that week we got a call by this captain saying he would like to take us on a evening trip for free for doing his boat and leaving a tip beyond his expectations, he was so pleased with us. So we took him up on his offer and once again we nailed the eyes, we really didn't know what we were going to do with all the fish. It was a trip of a life time, every year we had a place to stay and excellent fishing. I would recommend anyone who loves to fish for eyes to make at least 1 trip to Erie in your life time you won't regret it one bit!! Since the price of fuel went up most of the guys I go with are older and can't afford the trip anymore plus we have a place in the Black River Camp Grounds which we all pitch in to help the cost of things at a comfortable rate for all of us which is 4 of us. Make the trip happen you won't regret it one bit!!! PAP.

Since jet divers are not directional, I imagine run them off the big boards?

5ft leader behind them?

When walleye fishing Erie pa (many many moons ago), I used to run the riggers with lures 100ft back. This still worth trying? -or do all the fish come off divers and boards...so safe to leave the riggers home?

Since jet divers are not directional, I imagine run them off the big boards?

5ft leader behind them?

When walleye fishing Erie pa (many many moons ago), I used to run the riggers with lures 100ft back. This still worth trying? -or do all the fish come off divers and boards...so safe to leave the riggers home?

Yes, jets off big boards.

5-8' leader

If your going west of the islands you won't need the riggers, it's not that deep out there.

If you have some 3-5 color lead core reels, take them.

Jets are fine for early season cold water walleyes that are suspended near the surface. They do not sink deeper in turns when you slow down. 65 degree surface water temperature will start the walleyes to go deeper.