Ibay 5/20 Evening Report, Observations, & Questions

Out of the channel solo at about 4:30pm and headed NW towards clearer water.  It took a bit.  Into about 70fow before I was clearing the chocolate milk colored water and debris.  I was immediately marking fish as I set up, at 50 feet down.   Set a rigger at 50 with a warrior ladderback spoon, rigger at 40 with a smurf silver streak spoon, and dipsy at 120, setting 3 with  42nd spin doctor and matching atommik fly.  Immediately an 8# king took the warrior spoon.   Set it again and it took another hit with nothing there by the time I got to the rod.  Attempted to put a couple cheaters on but all they did was catch weeds in the water.  Smurf spoon got pounded.  Lost an absolute brute because of a barrel swivel that opened up and broke.  Easily would have been the biggest spring King I ever boated.  Set a DW 42nd in it's place.  Never took another hit on that rigger.  Got another hit on the Warrior spoon and while fighting a 10lb king, the dipsy took a hit.  Boated both.  Laker on the dipsy.  Continued to work the 70fow range but all was silent after that and in at 7:45. 

Working the mud as I was coming in was useless.  Marked fish in all depths but I doubt they would have seen my presentation.  It's been several days since all of the rain, and the lake is muddier tonight than it was immediately following.  As I was coming into the channel, I noticed 100's of trails in the water and alewives jumping everywhere.  There had to have been 100's of seagulls flying and diving all around as well after them.  

I've been wondering if all that muddy water extends down to the bottom, or it's just the surface?  I would guess from top to bottom?  I've fished out of the bay for 4 years now and never seen alewives in the channel.  Is this unusual?  Explains maybe why in years past I've pounded Kings just outside of the bay in the spring.  Any guesses on when a thermocline sets up this year?  The lake surface temp outside of the mudline is still 45 degrees.  Also found a trench that drops from 70 to 90 and back to 70 outside of the Genesee.  Navionics shows a sewer line there?  And why do I have better runs when I am solo than when I take others out?  Never fails...

Edited by MadPerry

Way to go on the solo program and thanks for the report. It's always fun fighting, driving and netting all at once, I will be out there tomorrow evening.

I was out in the afternoon in the same area - random logs etc...tripping releases even into the blue water. As far as temp I dropped my fishhawk TD down through the column in the mud at 60 fow it was 51 on top and steadily decreased to 48. In the "green" it was 50 on top and steady decline to 46.5. Out in the blue in 70 fow it was 48 on top and a smooth decline to 46.5 on bottom - no sharp breaks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app