Keuka Lake motorized vessels banned

Just an FYI for those of you thinking of heading to Keuka or have a cottage on the lake. Did not see this posted today. This comes from FingerLakes1.com as of today.

As a part of the declared County State of Emergency the Sheriff is ordering in the interest of public safety no motorized boat traffic on Keuka Lake until the lakes height recedes more. Sheriff’s Marine Patrol will be enforcing the ban and violators may be charged with disorderly conduct. Public boat launching sites at Penn Yan, State Park and Branchport are requested to be closed to motorized vessel launches and marinas are also advised. Should there be an “exigent†circumstance requiring an exception consideration please call the Sheriff’s office at 315-536-4438.

Here is a link to the story:

http://www.fingerlakes1.com/addedstories/20140521095152.php

okay, as a family that has a cottage on Keuka, we REMOVED our wood "docks" from the aluminum frame that goes out into the water.  Basically before they floated away, the water was so high.  I have to believe they are concerned with boat traffic/waves going into Memorial Day weekend, creating too much issue by the shore.  My thought would be enfore a 5mph limit or basically NO WAKE....so those that want to fish quietly....can do so.  A total ban is a little over the top IMHO....but I do understand!

Jason

My sister lives on Keuka and I tell ya on the weekend all the grandchildren show up (around the lake)and the boat handling skills arn't too good when that happens.In over 50 years of boating I would give Keuka the worst place to be on a busy weekend. Jet skies,tubers,sailers,sking,fishermen,sightseer's,and the guys who like too show off their fast boats with beer in belly...I know its a 45mph lake during "normal" use but not a hour goes by that someone exceeds the speed limit ...But it is a beautiful lake with a lot of expensive property that would get damaged with boating waves,not to mention the possability of personal injury with all the crap out there floating ..And the Sheriff would be overwhelmed with calls..(no coast guard)..Also with many roads washed out and the town of PennYan reeling from the flash flood the Sheriff will have their hands full with road traffic.

Probably good thing I am taking my kayak to fish then.  How much do you guys think laker fishing will be affected by the flooding?

I'm planning to go to Canadice if I can get my trailer/boat to the lake safely. I was wondering the same thing about the high water effecting water temp and

thermocline(if there is one). Might be a good topic on it's own.

I heard that they are going to institute a permanent 5mph speed limit on all finger lakes :)  

The ban continues through the weekend on Keuka. Below is from an article on the FL Times website:"

"Last weekend, Spike said the sheriff’s office marine patrol removed five large dock sections from the lake, 13 trees ranging from six to 40 feet long, six tree stumps and a full floating dock. Many docks near the shore remain fully submerged and damaged by boat wakes.

“This a life and property safety issue,†Spike said. “There is still a lot of floating debris out there.â€

A boater advisory remains in effect for Cayuga, Seneca, Canandaigua and Honeoye lakes, with speeds restricted to 5 mph. Parts or all of those lakes are overseen by the sheriff’s offices in Seneca, Ontario and Yates counties."

First time I am hearing a 5 mph restriction on Cayuga. Glad I brought my kayak with me to the rental on Keuka this weekend :)  

Edited by On the Hook