I bay large mouths

pikefreak

Bass, pike,walleyes, sheepshead and a gar here and there. I've been trying to catch walleyes and pike but the bass seem to be hitting more than anything. Stick baits are what I use mostly wile trolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ya, I I never keep anything I catch. I'm trying to get my 9yr old son his first walleye and these bass keep biting. Lol

I doubt you are targeting them but, this is bedding time. The water temps are pushing their breeding times beyond the norm. I would try to stay away from shallow fishing if you are interested in promoting the species. I am no biologist I just feel bad when I hear of bass catches in May and early June, when I know they are getting busy. :)))Just a perspective, I am happy you are enjoying fishing and sharing with yòur boy.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was told by many IBay fisherman to cast the shore line with stick baits for walleye and I seem to be getting more bass than anything. I switched to trolling and now I'm getting nothing but sheepshead! My name tells ya that I like fishing toothy critters!!post-154741-14017656694443_thumb.jpgpost-154741-14017656817598_thumb.jpgpost-154741-14017656928961_thumb.jpg

I doubt you are targeting them but, this is bedding time. The water temps are pushing their breeding times beyond the norm. I would try to stay away from shallow fishing if you are interested in promoting the species. I am no biologist I just feel bad when I hear of bass catches in May and early June, when I know they are getting busy.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There's so many bass in the bay, a few accidental catches won't hurt a thing. We get them all the time trolling.

Plus......State regs say its OK to target black bass "from Dec. 1st through the first friday preceding the 3rd Saturday in June, C&R and artificials only"

Should we all volunteer to stop fishing 'till bass season opens ? :)

Edited by devoknevo

Pikefreak.....Dude.....That one sheepie is HHHUUUGAE!! Great fight I imagine (maybe better than the tried and true bucketmouths), eh? And Tg8....devoknevo is right about the regs. Bass are pretty hardy especially the largemouths. But, particularly in light of some of the downturn in recent years of the southshore Big O smallmouth fishing, until a for sure true reason for the downswing is realized, it could be said taking it easy might be cool. It has been thought that the multitudes of round gobies may contribute to it because they can sweep in and gobble a bunch of smallie eggs or fry while guardian males are fighting some fisherman's offering until it gets back down there after release. Would take a lot of scuba and/or camera visual and count (counting nests eggs,fry,gobies......whew!) studies to verify that. You know, for other areas, I would believe no harm comes to bass populations normally. But it certainly does not hurt if you wish to leave 'em alone while they're trying to keep themselves going. Don't believe it is a problem in most waters with largemouths. And do appreciate and understand your respect for the bass.....

Panfisher, I haven't been targeting the bass for that two week period that's all that was hitting my stick baits in my quest for toothy critters(pike/walleyes) I get leaving them alone and I'm really not a bass fisherman hence my name.

My recommendation on getting eyes and less bass is too get the boat a medium cast off shore and cast parallel to shore not towards it with hj14s in black n silver or blue n orange. Id focus on the night bite if your in that close. This is the pattern I use on Otisco. When we get closer to shore we get a lot more bass and a smaller run of eyes...also slowing down can help...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pikefreak. Don't have to apologize for hitting the bass anywhere in New York State as they are abundant almost everywhere. And, as devoknevo said, the regulations back that up. Personally I love to pick up those bass in the early spring, probably a little before they r nesting. They seem to be big suckers for crankbaits and stickbaits and swimbaits and.....well......baits in general! Anything that moves! Ever go to Sodus in early may or late April after ice out and weather can still be a challenge? Beauteous largemouths love hitting sunfish or perch colored fatraps retrieved about 6-8 ft down around the islands. Then u can move to bays outside of creeks and nail more largemouths and northerns on flatraps. All catch and release, all easy, and all fun! And yeah Tg8. Those days around Hedges in May were seriously crazy with the smallies!!!!. Give em a chance. As native to the lake, they will probably re-establish there like that again. Hopefully...... :)