Spro swivels question

Can you use a Spro swivel to connect braid and mono? I am using a size 10 swivel. I know it will go through the guides on the rod but my concern is having the swivel on the reel.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

i use them between copper and braid,not sure what size,i know they are rated for 50 lbs,just make sure they are small enough to go through your level wind.i had a cabellas depth master i set up for browns and it wouldnt fit through.

The #10 should go through just about any level wind guide while the #8 can be a closer call on some of the newer reels

The part about joining two lines involves tying a knot suited to the task. dissimilar lines of size or materials always involves tying it. Adding a microscopic hardware is no advantage. ..In fact less! Not to mention expensive in that case. As mentioned uni to uni or slim beauty or Albright or one of my favorites , the perfection loop that facilitates easy leader changes without cutting line and re tie knots.

cent frum my notso smart fone

I use the the size 10 power's for all joinings , backer to braid-braid to floro and knock on wood haven't had a problem yet. No issues getting on the reel or thru the guides. Spro's get expensive but there still cheaper than the random knot failures I've had sending all my gear to the bottom. for me it's faster tying and more reliable. But that's just me!

What two knots with the spro do you use [instead of one knot without] that do not fail with the one pass single strand on each end of the 1/16 inch eye of the spro.

Mono to braid double back style knots tied once...

But if a knot failure is gonna happen. .might as well double the chance and loose an extra .65 cents with the 22 dollar f/f rig.

With the spro I run trilene and polamar "spelling " and no it's not brutal but it's still a extra 50 bucks a year for swivels. When running Albright or double uni from mono to braid back to floro I had some problems that's all, sent at least three dipsys to the fish gods a few years back and haven't dropped one since. My doubt is not in the knot it is in my ability to consistently tye it in the rush of a situation, bad weather and quickly.and I just trust my system now. I also lose significantly less floro due to twist the past few years with the sz10 and a snap on the other end 50' every time adds up quick when your dragging perch or bass behind a dipsy "ya I'm a walleye guy" as far as the single strand running thru the hole is that not relative to a Albright where a single strand runs thru relying on compression to hold it in place? If there was a reason to join mono I'd knot it but thin slick "superline" i like joining with a swivel!

Ok I thought you were talking about rigger rods.. well I wasn't aware that you were pulling dipsy with that but most of us just go straight to the dipsy with main wire or braid and don't put anything between braid or Wire before the dipsy except a large snap swivel to hook the dipsy on. What ever you are comfortable with and it works to save tackle, then by all means use it, but the little spro really won't make any knot stronger in connection with it. It will help with line twist as you mentioned however and that is a good thing. All knots are only good when tied proper and with patience. No knots should be trusted from season to season and less trusted and retied when money fishing. Swivels are something that are overlooked for wear and are tough to call worn out...and in that case toss it away even harder. I've had more failures of snap swivel than knots. They all wear over time.. best brand names as well.

The Albright if tied property is a double back style knot.. yes relying on compression where two strands exit each end of the knot. You take the larger line or Wire and double it back on itself in a parallel leg loop then you lay the thinner line in parallel through the legs straight with bitter end up from U in the loop. Then double itself back down the two legs winding itself over the two legs 15 to 18 turns (braid) 6 to 8 mono...and the bitter end goes back through the loop. When it is tightened all winds come to lay behind each other and now you have the bitter end to secure with a couple half hitches if preferred to lock it.

It's not an easy knot to do under pressure or numb fingers but it does have double strands in the heavy loop and the windings back over the whole knot to finish.

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php?LogoImage

Much easier is the slim beauty knot and just as strong for joining two lines. Very compact when done and similar to a Bimini twist with out needing 4 arms and 40 fingers to form it.

http://www.animatedknots.com/slimbeauty/

Edited by skipper19

I run OR clips on dipsys it's not tied in at all, that's how I get 50 ft of floro out the back remove them like a inline board on the way in. and I religiously change swivels and snaps that's how they get expensive, I throw them out monthly or sooner.

Thanks for the links I'll give a whirl. Not stuck in my ways just haven't found a superior option yet. That's why these boards are great there's always a hundred different options and just as many opinions on virtually every topic!