Bad fuel from Otisco Lake Marina

Alright...Im not a fan of trashing anyone's business but...I have to share my recent experiences. First off I have been buying their gas for 3 years at 5+ dollars a gallon because its convenient. First fill up of the season I pull up and there is only 1 dock section, and my 21 foot toon cant be tied up because the dock is too small. Luckily I had 2 buddies who held the boat, barely, in the wind. The kid working is laughing and no help. Next time I call first to make sure they are open... same dock issue so I cant fill up solo. I hand him a $100 and go start pumping. 2.5 gallons in his tank is DRY! Immediately boat is running like crap for the first time ever. Check fuel filter...dirty! 2 filters later its finally running better today and I have a spare. Then I found out its 3 bucks to park there plus 9 dollar launch. If anyone gives him any business do so at your own risk...HE WILL NEVER GET ANOTHER DOLLAR FROM ME... EVER! Im gonna go down now and ask him to pay for 3 filters and express my feelings.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ouch!

It may pay for you to buy one of those plastic gas containers on wheels with a hose. With a savings of $1.25 a gallon and no more aggravation you will get the cost out of it in no time.

The worst part of your comment is that little jerk laughing and not helping.

Edited by rolmops

Well ive changed more filters ...which he gave me...i also replaced the bulb and lines...he says there is 200 gallons below the pick up and that there was nothing wrong with the fuel. I guess ill never know the answer perhaps it was a coincidence, and he put another dock section in today. I still will be hauling my fuel in the future. I still doesnt idle right but im fairly confident I won't be stranded. Either way im goin out at 12am.

Good luck with things Justin....always frustrating with motor stuff and especially considering the circumstances. Hang in there bud. Les

Ouch!

It may pay for you to buy one of those plastic gas containers on wheels with a hose. With a savings of $1.25 a gallon and no more aggravation you will get the cost out of it in no time.

The worst part of your comment is that little jerk laughing and not helping.

I would check the regs on those. I was told once that u cannot use a transport tank at all when filling up with the boat already in the water. I know many do but I would just double check

Well ive changed more filters ...which he gave me...i also replaced the bulb and lines...he says there is 200 gallons below the pick up and that there was nothing wrong with the fuel. I guess ill never know the answer perhaps it was a coincidence, and he put another dock section in today. I still will be hauling my fuel in the future. I still doesnt idle right but im fairly confident I won't be stranded. Either way im goin out at 12am.

There may well be 200 gallons below the pick up,but is it fuel or is it gunk, water and fuel?

I had a similar experience there years ago. I think the docks are made from used pallets, you have to dodge traffic launching , park on the side of the road, and pay a hefty price.

The boat I had at the time fit at the dock, but the owners watched as I had to make numerous attempts at docking fighting a west wind, in the snow.

Never been back.

Rusty

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...

In the neverending fuel issue saga there is light at the end of the tunnel. My tank is clean I think, and I pulled filter number SEVEN cut it open and finally not terrible. Put in number 8 and motor idles for a while anyways. Had to use the key to turn off the motor for the first time in weeks. This was an absolute nightmare. Its tough to focus on fishing when you know you cant idle...thank god for my terrova or I couldnt have docked.

Oh believe me im hauling it!  DR convenience store in Amber has ethanol free premium and Im saving money!!  I find myself looking in the gas can carefully before transferring.  If there was ANYTHING like what was in my filters id see it for sure.  Lesson learned and no real harm done.

Look for a Fast Track gas station. They have no ethanol premium. My motor runs great on it. If I use gas with ethanol, it's been nothing but headaches even when I use the treatment.

You are right on with that one.  I go to Fast Track and do the same thing.  I run my lawnmower, rototiller and snow blower on their ethanol free high test.  It's a pain every once in a while bringing all those gas cans and filling them but it is better than having engine problems.

Fuel issue still not settled..Justin has got his work .lots of work to get his engine right..it isn't so much the ethanol as it is the ****e that was in the fuel he purchased..saw 1st hand the issue and it aint purty

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rebuilt the carb and changed tanks today...purrs like a kitten! Problem solved...

Sent from my N9500 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know how much effort you put into gettn ready for the season.  I sure hope this is it.  Good luck with it.  Oh yeah, keep postn those pics.  It gets me energized.

Joe