Need technical help with a new to me boat... :)

Kuba

Purchased a boat from a member of this board, and need some help identyfying stuff etc... :)

1. Motor was stored on the "right" side, nothing leaked. Once i started lifting it up to put in on the bracket, oil came out of this hole. What is that hole? Not a lot came out, just a little

2014522220404_zps1846c9bf.jpg

2014522220423Large_zpsda64bd82.jpg

2014522222832_zpscc948f56.jpg

2. Cable coming out of that downrigger is not labeled. Im trying to make these plug and play with plugs and receptacles. Any difference where the positive and negative go? these are old Canon 10As.

2014522222432_zpsbdba3726.jpg

3. What kind of an outdrive is it? besides being a Mercruiser. Any problems with these?

2014522222628_zpse71597be.jpg

4. The troilling motor has a hole where it sits on the bracket, im assuming it is for a permanent attatchment. Can a bracket like that be drilled through? I don't trust these butterfly screws.

2014522223010_zps0b208322.jpg

Thanks Guys!

Edited by Kuba

2. Cable coming out of that downrigger is not labeled. Im trying to make these plug and play with plugs and receptacles. Any difference where the positive and negative go? these are old Canon 10As.

Yes , yes ....

If they don't have auto stop worst case is when you flip switch to go down it will go up...... If they have auto stop and you wire it wrong you'll fry the auto stop board inside the rigger and the rigger will not work....

That looks a lot like a bit of winterizing oil leaking out of the exhaust and if it is a 2 stroke,then it is just normal.

But if it is a 4 stroke,it may be engine oil that is seeping past the o-rings into the cylinders and out through the exhaust. It may also just be some oil used to winterize the little engine.

If it is a 4 stroke, take it on the water,check the oil, run it for about 15 minutes ,let it sit for 5 minutes and check the oil again. if everything is good,you're fine

The outdrive looks like a mercruiser for 120 and 140 horse engines. Just grease it and check the oil level inside. ask the previous owner about the last time the impeller and the gimbal bearing  and the hoses were replaced

Edited by rolmops

4. yes for bolting thru.  But also screw down the butterflies real well. (I'd also get a chain on that motor to a rear cleat on the boat)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I seem to remember that you are rather obsessed with that safety chain hooked to the kicker. Maybe you can share an interesting story about a kicker that went swimming....

Kuba - What I've always done to secure the trolling motor is to place a long shaft padlock through the holes on the butterfly screws after tightening them down good(lining them up first)....assuming you have the type with the holes....

Sk8, did that on my crestliner i had. This honda has these plastic. Easy to cut? Will do it anyway.

Rolmops: outdrive had to have shifter cable, boot, gimball bearing etc replaced. I also had gear oil replaced and the impeller-was cracked :( 2k into it and i didnt have it on the water yet

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Could it be possible that i have tilted it the wrong way once picking it up?

Could it be possible that i have tilted it the wrong way once picking it up?

Rolmops: i'll probably run it with muffs on the driveway, would it work?

I had a honda do the same thing. I had a merc do the same and it was a leaky gasket. My newer honda did the same thing 3 weeks ago when I picked her up and it was fine after running it. I seem to not be able to store a kicker down in the right way and still not have a little discharge. I think that year honda requires a special adapter to run out of water but I could be wrong. If run it in the water and if you see a oil slick after 5min or so there's prob a leak. Just make sure there's oil before running and you should be fine. Run it in a garbage can if you have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Errabit: i will take more pics of the downriggers on sunday when i get home

The oil is coming out of the exhaust port.

If the kicker is a 4 stroke, it may have leaked some crankcase oil into the cylinders. I have an Evenrude 4 stroke and I remember reading in the instructions, not to lay it on a particular side. It will cause oil to leak into cylinders. You might have to check to see if oil is in cylinders. Turn it over a few times and then pull a plug and see it there is oil on it. If there is oil in the cylinders, the motor won't start until you get it cleared out and cleaned off the plugs. Also, check the crankcase oil level to see if it is low. You should do an oil and filter change anyway. I am not sure how to go about removing oil that has leaked into cylinders but if that has happened , it will not start until you get it cleared out.

If you plan to trailer the boat ant distance with the kicker on the bracket, it is a good idea to cinch it in tight with a ratchet strap to keep it from bouncing around, which will put stress on the bracket, motor and transom.

If all you want to do is checking for oil seeping through, it will do just fine. Muskiedreams has some real good advice.

That Garelick bracket looks like it is for a 2 stroke 10 horse,you may want to double check if it is strong enough for a heavier 4 stroke.

Edited by rolmops

Yes, I'm obsessed with chains.  (But not with whips...)  You will be too, once you dump a kicker in the lake.  I was slowing the big engine down, the kicker was in gear and in the down position.  When more of the kicker lower unit hit the water...up it went, right off the bracket.  Luckily I had a chain on it & only lost the cowling.  Note:  I also drilled two holes 1/2" deep in the bracket for the hold down screws to sit in.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Good advice from Rolmops and Muskiedreams,  I  had similar problem with my Yami 9.9. Motor was laying on wrong side and filled cylinders with oil, pulled plug and cranked motor. Oil shot out , prob solved, Good luck

The sticker on the bracket states 15 hp.

There is no difference in weight between 9.9 and 15 horse engines. If it does not say that it is for the heavier 4 stroke engines then it is not. That being said,you do have the heavier type bracket and the extra 30 pounds are not going to make a huge difference. So don't worry about that part.

The main problem you have there are the 4 bolts that go through the transom and hold the bracket. Because of the added 4 stroke weight it carries, it is probably a good idea to remove those bolts and add a plate ( I like half inch thick aluminum) of say roughly 25 centimeters by 25 centimeters or whatever you have room for on the inside of the transom,drill through this plate the needed holes from the outside of your transom and reattach the bracket in the exact same place ,but now with stronger bolts and stronger transom backing. It will protect your transom from having too much pull on 4 single spots and spreads it out over 625 square centimeters.

Edited by rolmops

Looks like a Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive.  No problem with them.  Very good unit.  I would change the gear lube in with 90weight Gear Lube, and service the anodes....just so you know that you are starting with a tuned up unit.

Well, i have had it... Worked half of the night to make sure everything is ready. Got the kicker up and running, got the downriggers hooked upwith AC plugs etc...

Get to the ramp at 8 pm after work with my kid and my buddy, we're ready to drop it in the water...i go down to check the plug and i see the fuc&ing rubber in the outdrive came off the part thats on the boat. Dont know what it is or what it does but its off and the boat is not going in the water. Its about 3" in diameter and has these clamps at the ends. The funny thing is with the outdrive up, i think this rubbber is toi short.

That rubber is called a bellows and the bottom one is the 3 inch exhaust bellows, the top one is bigger. the Exhaust bellows should be firmly attached to the gimbal housing with a Hose clamp but hear is the Kicker!! the end that attaches to the outdrive ma or may not have a hose clamp because their are two styles One style attaches to the outdrive and funnels exhaust to the prop on a permanent basis and the other style is left loose and only fits over the hole when the outdrive is in the  down position. In the up Position this style of exhaust bellows just exhaust out of the Gimbal housing.... Does this make sense??? Take a Pic and show us the bellows 

That sounds like a bellow come off if there was a hose clamp there, they are a bittch to do and a lot of guys think they got it on right, but not, if doing it yourself make sure no one is around that doesn't like the F word you will use it a few times with some blood shed, but it can be done I did all of mine and I have the early Alfa unit, with what you said 3" in dia. It sounds like the exhaust bellow come off. They kind of snap into place and they claim they want you to use a adhesive and a clamp to make sure they don't pop off, if the inner part of the bellow is installed to far onto the inner flange it will make the bellow to short out at the exhaust exit point might have to loosen the inner clamp and rotate the bellow and pull on it at the same time until you are up against the flange that holds the bellow onto the inner part, I leave the clamps a little loose till I have both on it will make a little dull pop sound when it is in place correctly. I don't use the adhesive but would recommend using it if its your first go around. Tighten up clamps if you arrange the clamps correctly you should be able to use a 1/4" drive with a long extension and a 5/16" socket or a long flat screwdriver. When finished raise and lower unit a few times to make sure all is well. Good luck PAP.

Taking it back to the place that did the complete bellows job. They said "no problem, will get someone on it right away".