OMC 5.0 cobra outdrive troubles?

Bought boat month ago and everything runs idles and sound smooth. Had out out 5 out 6 times trolling for six hours at a time no issues. Last weekend I took it out and it wouldn't jump up on plane. When you hit it it would get to 3000 rpm and stay right there. I had five guys in the boat so I assumed I was just really "heavy". So I picked up new prop to help out. Went out this morning excited for new prop and same issue definitely not "heavy". So idles great, sounds smooth, no noises out of the ordinary but when you hit it it sounds great to 3000 rpm and then just stays there. Any one else have this experience our any thoughts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not sure what year you have, but if it has points for distributor (not elec ignition) make sure you have fresh clean points, condenser, plugs and cap. I ran 5.0ltr omc cobra 1989, in my boat for 10 plus years, and always got new tune up kit at the start of every year. Any time I had running issues similar to what you are describing, I could always trace back to my ignition. Except one time when there was aluminum fillings in my fuel tank that was plugging up the screen on the intake line in the tank which didn't allow it to take throttle.

HTH's...Jake

Its 1988 trophy 2460 Boat goes in to Eagle Marina in kendall next weekend. I looked at throttle cable and to me it seams to be pulling the throttle wide open. Distributor cap, writes and plug are new this yr. Plus looked fine. Had Alot people thinking exhaust blockage or fuel filter related. We shall see. Thanx for giving suggestions. I'll post the fix assuming we get it figured out.

Well put the muffs on the boat this morning in the driveway and she fired up immediately. Ran smooth, shifted smooth, and rev to 5000 rpm no sweat. So its definitely only under load that out won't accelerate? Any suggestions