Irondequoit Bay Outlet Bridge

With the swinging of the bridge on April 1 come the annual complaints about the inability for motorists to traverse Monroe County by the quickest possible route. There is a growing movement by the local Democrats in power to extend the driving season at the expense of boaters/fisherman. I am becoming increasingly concerned that the bridge closure will be extended to include October and April, both months that many of us fish and utilize the outlet.

Going back several years I was told that the seasons of use will never change because the Coast Guard knows we are boating in the bay in those months and a change will require their approval. They need to get into the bay if the bay is being heavily used. I do not know if the need for their approval is still true today.

I am just throwing this out to ask fellow fisherman to continue be vigilant in their efforts to remind our local politicians that we are taxpayers and constituents who want the outlet open during these months. Changing the season is rapidly becoming a big issue to certain politicians in Irondequoit and on the county level. At a recent Town Board meeting when the issue came up the Supervisor looked directly at Councilwoman Aldersley and smiled. Ever since Aldersley was a County Legislator this has been her pet project. She will not be happy until the dates are changed! The rights of the motorists seem much more important in the eyes of many. The "escape route" from Ginna hysteria is still a nice public safety argument and the Hot Dog Row businesses won't let this die as evidenced by their constant petitions.

I don't mean to ramble...but we need to be voicing our opinions too!

Rich,

You had too much time to think out in the sun last week!

If there is a petition drawn up to submit our voices count me in on signing it...

It's part of the deal when you build on one side of a bay or river... you may or may not be able to reach the otherside easily except by water... landlubbers just don't comprehend some things. Seems to me that Hot Dog row has made out just fine in spite of it... BTW- how many years have they all been in business? And didn't Bill Gray's even build a NEW facility there in spite of the bridge circumstance?

All good points Hans. I suspect we will have to do our own petitions at some point in the future because this issue is gathering steam instead of going away like it should. Would love to hear from others if they have any more inside information.

Re; the trip, How come the memory of the Mexican sun has faded so quick, but the damage from the alcohol consumption is forever! Actually, it was a great family trip, real low key and great weather. Really enjoyed Key West and had even more fun in Cozumel this time. Snorkeling was tremendous. Makes our lakes biological habitat look dead.

A guy who is really involved in this issue is a charter captain out of irodeqouit. His boat name is Rodmaster. I dont have his contact info, but give him a call and talk to him. He has all the info you will need about this issue.

When the bridge is closed the ONLY people it effects are the homeowners on that stretch between bay rd. and the outlet. If your coming from east of bay rd you still have to travel south and then west just like if you were going over the outlet. People just like to **** because they can't take their little $2,000 dog for a walk to get ice cream at bill gray's. They should be greatfull the bridge is there for 5 months.

Sorry about the rant but I saw an editorial in the paper from an anti boater (pro bridge) lady and it burned my ass!

Yes, the bridge will be open april 1st

tell us how you really feel scott. it seems to be a real touchy subject w/ you. i sense alot of hostility in you. i dont know if its over the bridge or about people that have a taste for a little ice cream and expensive dogs.

i dont know what you think jerry, but i think its funny :lol::lol::lol: