Memorial Day 5/26/14 - I-Bay

I fished with my great buddy Anthony today and we had a fantastic day. Let me first begin by thanking of all of past veterans who sacrificed their lives so that we can have the incredible freedoms that we enjoy in this country. I'm thankful for their heroism so that me, my friends and family can enjoy all that we have today.

Now onto the fishing - we started the day in 60 fow, just west of the Bay and then we gradually trolled east to join the armada of boats near Shipbuilders. We worked a lot of water from the mouth of the Bay to Webster Park, and we fished anywhere from 60 fow to 200 fow.

Lures parked from just below the surface to about 50' down on the riggers worked well for the day. Anything deeper than that (400 copper, 80-90' rigger didn't fire at all despite multiple marks at that depth). We finished the day good ol' lucky 7 for 11, with all fish kings with the exception of one small steelhead. All fish but one were released.

We had our first crush on wire, and also on a Flasher/Fly for the season, although Mr. King won that battle.

We had two brutes on - one on the wire diver as mentioned above which was lost after a 5 minute battle, and another beautiful king 20# + which we lost right behind the boat after Anthony battled the beast for a good 10 minutes or so on 12# mono.

It seemed like a due west or due south troll worked the best with our down speed (Subtroll) between 2.2 and 2.5.

All of the following took fish or had hits:

5/8 ounce keel weight with a Raspberry dolphin spoon

Glow Frog SS  (shout out to Tomy L. for the tip on this one!)

Plain Frog standard size spoon

SS Blue Dolphin free slider

Standard Carmel Dolphin on 3 color core

SS Wonderbread was bread and butter after the sun came up

SS Andy's Walleye Slapper

Wire Dipsy 125', #2 pulling a Capt. Valium Spinny/Sweet Pea Fly

I gotta tell you - the fishing around Rochester is just awesome and there's no better way than fishing it with my great buddy Anthony.

Good luck to all,

Chris

Appreciate the detailed report. That selection of spoons is a staple, imo. Rochester fishing IS awesome as proved by the number of reports. Get asked all the time if I ever fish out of -insert port here-? My only answer is why? Got everything I want right here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Capt Chris has delivered once again.

Thank you for the excellent post.

It does pay when we ventured out there away from the boats and fish only to find a better class of kings. I was aware we should never leave fish to find fish however today s experience points out that thinking outside the box only works when u have a screamer on a rod that is In your hands.

Thank you to our veterans who gave their lives to make it possible for us to enjoy the freedom.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I am very indebted to Anthony today - when I wanted to leave the deeper water quickly after not marking much or moving a rod, he taught me to stay and " be patient" and boy did it pay off.

I am very thankful to his great wisdom - today he was the captain, I was just the driver of the boat....lol.