test photo

keithg

Tim, Initially I thought the same. That is why I delayed in my first post. But looking at the enlarged view notice the so called X's in lieu of the round dots more reminiscent of a brown. Also, the tail has a slight V shape to it. It also looks like it has more of a silver cast to it than the olive brown of a Brown trout. Also, that tapered snout has me wondering. Maybe it is the way the sun is hitting it. Or just my computer image. I would like to see if there is another photo. Keith- bottom line-did this fish jump at all? Anyways Tim, thanks for your input. As always look forward to your posts.-Duane

Sorry guys but that fish is a brown. July browns are usually chrome in color with very little amber/gold color and the spots are frequently "X" shaped.

The tail suggests brown as well. The caudal bones making up the tail structure do not have the steep angle usually associated with Atlantics and there is no fork in it at all. Atlantics have a much deeper fork than a brown.

Also, the tail on a summer atlantic would also have the chrome color streaked through the middle of it whereas browns have very little, if any metallic coloration to their tails.

I would post pics but my best atlantic pics are 35mm.

As I said, the Atlantics are easy to spot because of the fork in the tail and the metallics on the fleshy part of the tail. Browns have squared off tails with no metallic coloration and "X" shaped spots.

Catch a brown or an Atlantic now and they will look almost the same---except for the differences noted above.