Canandaigua Lake Trout Derby June 7/8

Hi all- wanted to spread the word about this derby, proceeds go to a good cause. Google it and you can find the info on the Chamber of Comm website. post-146856-14012340335445_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

We're entered and looking forward to it...I always do whether I'm actually able to fish it or not....as was said the money goes to a good cause (Camp Good Days and Special Times which had serious flood damage this year) Here is the link to the Chamber and entry form there http://canandaiguachamber.com/

Dave I was out there Saturday and there were some limbs and debris out in the middle of the lake going south but level is OK now and north end was clear of other than occasional small stuff not sure about the south end.

it could just be a few guys goin out to scout for the tourney.. or just four boats trout fishing. id love to be out there all week to straighten things out and shake some dust off.. rules do state that fish have to be caught on tourney days, but not necessarily alive.

Now that much of the heavy duty perch fishing is over there are usually guys fishing for trout out there (downriggers included :)) so I don't think it is anything to be concerned about relative to the derby other than the fact that they may have a little "edge" in terms of where the fish are or aren't :lol:

The fishing traffic usually isn't the concern it is the recreational boat traffic especially jet skiers and the twice per season types :)  after 10 AM or so and the sailboats when they have a regatta.

ya there is no respect on the lake they will run right threw your setup.a few yrs back we had a small sail boat run right over our top line and we were trying to tell the guy it was there but that didn't work so it hook the bottom of his little sail boat and rolled it right over and god forbid ur anchored they will run up so close you could touch them with a rod.

There are always guys that will try to cheat when there is money involved, I've seen some fish weighed in before that looked like they've been dead and sitting in A live well for two weeks, luckily none of them have been money fish

There are always guys that will try to cheat when there is money involved, I've seen some fish weighed in before that looked like they've been dead and sitting in A live well for two weeks, luckily none of them have been money fish

LOl you got that right, including the one on the derby flyer, chickens are ugly but man old chickens are even worse :lol:

I don't know if they actually do the polygraph for this derby but the Seneca lake one my buddy had to take it for his first place laker and he said the winner as well.

:)  John this lake is a whole different animal than Seneca or Cayuga for that matter and in general a tougher lake to fish trolling for lakers although there are some big fish in here.  I marked some big lakers right off bottom in 257 ft on Saturday. It is a muck or sand bottom throughout most of the lake and unlike the cobble bottom areas of Seneca.  A number of guys fish this derby with bait (mostly still fishing). The brown I got the other day was down about 40 ft over 203.....largely anyone's guess where they will be until scoped out in person usually. I imagine the surface temp is about in the low 60's now as it was 58.6 on saturday. The bait could be moving back out by now too....

If it was noon on Monday leaving the inn on the Lake we had a group charter and I can assure you none of the boats caught a fish over 8lbs.. Fishing noon to five in that beating sun was not a great deal of excitement. I believe I did set a record with the smallest laker I have ever caught!