Berts Ratcheting Rod Holders

I'm having problems with a couple of the ratcheting rod holders not ratcheting.  I greased them up good, but still need to lift the lever to go from position to position.  Any idea what the issue may be.  I haven't given them a real good look over, but I thought maybe someone else may have run across this.

Thanks,

Doug

Agreed with jigstik. I have the cannon dual axis rigger mounts for my 3 mag 10's (6 holders total) and they're far more superior in every way that I can tell so far compared to the Bert's. I have 4 Bert's in tracks. I've barely used them and they're brand new (and I mean barely as in they might have held a rod or two upright from time to time while re-rigging on the water) and the one handle is already missing because the cheap retainer washer they put on flew off. I think I'm getting rid of all 4 Bert's holders and replacing with cannon dual axis in the tracks too. Not impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I used to have all Berts rod holders on my boat. The mounts constantly loosened....especially the ones holding my dipsys. They never held angle well, always migrating over the course of the day. Ihad to resort to cranking the allen and thumb screws with a pair of channel locks and even then they still loosened . They may work for some people, but for me they didnt. The cannons have a better design and are machined much nicer too. But to each his own.

I had this problem last yr and when I called Berts they asked me to call back another day to talk to a tech on how to fix it. I never called back.....Now this yr I have a second one with the same problem, so I'm guessing I'll call back unless the answer is revealed here. I have a feeling it's something with the spring stock that is used to lock them in place. Probably need to bend it a little. I imagine the fit between the pin that fits in the grooves of the ratchet wears over time.

Maybe I'll give them a shout tomorrow and see what they say. I'll let you know if I call and get an answer.

Spike

Edited by CaptSpike

I just upgraded from tite Loks so I think the Bert's holders are pretty awesome. Lol

i did the same thing. When I bought my boat it had rite locks on them. I could tell they were not going to hold up to a dipsey setup on lake o. They were pretty beat up as well. Took them off and replaced with Bert's over the old tire lock holes.

I run two boats one has cannons the other has Berts . The cannons will break the black plastic part on the ratchet teeth no big deal but they do fail from time to time. The Berts will develop a burr on the teeth that makes them stick on the cross pin if you look closely at the shape of the teeth you can see it a little very little file work will correct it keep the teeth lubed to avoid this. My observations for what it is worth.

Edited by bigblue

I would get ride of them all and use Down East no messing around pulling up and fighting to get them out of holder. I have used  all of them and bar far the best design for at least the dipsey rod.

They sure are wonderful if you want all your rod handles inside the boat getting in the way and have all your reels and seats getting chewed all to HELL . Ran the dam things 30 years ago you couldn't pay me to go back to that stuff.

I would get ride of them all and use Down East no messing around pulling up and fighting to get them out of holder. I have used  all of them and bar far the best design for at least the dipsey rod.

Used them years ago on Kueka with my father in law (seth green rigs) hated them then and still !  Berts are the only way to go IMHO!

• 2 weeks later...

I lube min with a drop of oil on each rod holder twice a season. No issues. Grease is too messy. Also if you see a burr. Consider using a file to make flush again.

Nick

Sent from my XT907 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I lube min with a drop of oil on each rod holder twice a season. No issues. Grease is too messy. Also if you see a burr. Consider using a file to make flush again.

Nick

I had the same issue when I ran them. The grease builds up and actually gets stuff. Clean the grease off, check for burrs as that's why my were sticking and oil lightly. I ran Bert's for 6 years and have switched to cannons

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well I read this thread the other day and finally called Berts again. I was told to send them in if they are sticking. Now keep in mind when comparing my use (NH) to the typical lake Ontario user and I barely put mine to the test. I fish Ontario twice a yr for ~ a week at a time. Other than that planer board fishing local I tip one out one increment. So very little use. Except when getting in and out of the boat on the trailer with the tree's on. I have to lay both down to swing my leg over the gunnel.

Anyway I'm an ex-toolmaker now designer so I'm going to look at the burr mentioned above before I send anything back.

I did just purchase four of the Cannon 360 holders (to good a deal to pass up) and I got to say I like them a lot. Biggest advantage to me being a trailer guy is I'm able to rotate these inboard without removing them and lay them down for less wind resistance and easier access over the gunnel when entering the boat when it's on the trailer.

I may be putting my Berts in the classified before too long (fully functional of coarse).

Spike

Well I finally got around to looking at my Bert's. No burr. I spayed them down with WD-40 and cleaned up the old grease and they all funtioned perfectly. I re greased lightly, though I'm thinking like an earlier post mentioned lightly oiling them periodically.

Gonna hold onto the bert's for now. I need to make sure I like the Cannons.

If/when I sell them I'll post it in the classified.

Spike

Ok. The one drop a month works for me. I don't fish Ontario just Seneca lake but I love these things. Plus they aren't bulky like the cannon..

I made a quick video of my Berts next to one of the new Cannon's. I thought for some it might be interesting to see the subtle differences between the two.

Enjoy:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0g-jU__aEo&feature=youtu.be

Spike

No audio, I'm remaking the video, not sure what happened.......

Should be OK now.......

Edited by CaptSpike

I have 2 of the Bert's.mthe only thing that I don't like is that the black plastic/rubber cap slips off and unfortunately I finally lost one today in the drink! Anyone know if I can order a replacement? Gonna glue them this time as I should have before!