Handheld VHF marine

I'm looking to buy a handheld VHF. Someone have review abour the Uniden Atlantis 250 and the standard Horizon HX150.

Both are the same price but the standard horizon float and the Uniden is only splash proof. My concern is more about the quality and reception.

Thanks

The boat will sell easier with a good fixed mounted vhf radio and quality antenna.There will come a time where you may need to reach someone from a good distance to help you if you breakdown, the handheld just might not have long enough range.

Edited by mostlymuskies

exactly what was said above,can you put a price on your life and your passengers?dont waste your money on a hand held,get a fixed mount and good antenna,8 foot would be best.think there are a couple in the classifieds on this site.

just going through an overtons catalog,hand held 100 bucks.base radio,8' antenna,and ratchet mount 150 bucks and free shipping.worth every penny of that extra 50 bucks.the only thing you will need to do is be able to soldier in the pl-259 connector that screws onto the back of radio,if you are not capable,im sure you can find someone to help you out or you can get a screw on one from radio shack,i like to soldier them on,but screw on one will work.

Edited by finsntins

Hands down Standard Horizon if handhelds. Call radioworld.ca and talk to Leo, get a cable that will allow you to connect a handheld to a regular antenna on the boat. Assuming you STILL want only handheld. You will get about 40% more range than just handheld with its built in antenna. Tell him ve3plo sent you, he will take care of you

Sent from my Lenovo P780 using Lake Ontario United mobile app