Thru hull transducer

I also have the airmar transom on my raymarine unit. It's really good. 600w. I do have some trouble once in a while with it locking on a high trigger but I just adjust the gain down and it fixes it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think the Airmar B60 50/200 thru hull gives me a better picture than the stock Lowrance transom mount but I have been told that the Airmar P66 transom mount has the same internal elements as the B60 and will give similar results if it is installed properly.  I feel there is less interference issues with a thru hull mount because it runs in "cleaner" water.  The one advantage of a transom mount is that you can adjust it once it is installed.

I stayed with the 600w transducer because the 1 kw transducers generally have a narrower cone angle so you don't get the same coverage with them, you end up with more detail of a smaller area.  For the depths we fish on Lake Ontario we don't need the extra power, I rather have the big picture and be able to see my downrigger weights. I usually run a split screen, one at 50hz to get the wide angle view and the other at 200hz to get the detail of what's right under the boat.

I agree about the B60, had the Furuno 620 with airmar transom mount triducer on old boat, worked great, but went with B60 on new boat and have a much clearer pic while running, with no interruptions. I was looking into the 1k ducer also, but after talking to a few friends that went that route, decided the 600 was

Much better for our waters. Good Luck

Capt Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just bought the b60 now I need to get the courage up to drill the hole

I didn't have the courage either so I had BOE Marine do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm.

How much did the labor cost?

We bought the 1 kw Airmar xducer, Furuno FCV585, a 2-bank on-board battery charger, and a plug-in for shore power from BOE.  They installed it all on the Sportcraft 252 for $400 and that included making a dash cover from King Starboard where the old Lowrance FF came off. 

You DO NOT need a 1kw transducer. Even though they are making wide angle versions now, they still cant compete with a 600kw ducer in beam angle. Not to mention the $ really goes up when looking at a 1kw ducer.

The B60 is nice if you have to trailer your boat, but the guys at Airmar will tell you that if you can go with a thru-hull ducer that utilizes a fairing block. You'll just get a better picture. Thru-hull is a great option, and in theory will show you a little better picture on plane.

All this talk about an Airmar B60 persuaded me to get a finder that is compatible with the one I installed last year. After getting the courage to drill the big hole in my hull I found out that my Humminbird 778c wasn't compatible with the 50/200

kHz. Now I got a brand new discontinued 858C HD for $549.00. Now I just hope I have time to use it.

All this talk about an Airmar B60 persuaded me to get a finder that is compatible with the one I installed last year. After getting the courage to drill the big hole in my hull I found out that my Humminbird 778c wasn't compatible with the 50/200

kHz. Now I got a brand new discontinued 858C HD for $549.00. Now I just hope I have time to use it.

Great price on that 8 series!