Going Rate for an Observer

I would say that depending on the situation, most observers observe for the experience and the tips they learn. Not to mention if you get to fish the day before. I observed for Tomahawk (MOTOMAN) at the Wilson Harbor Inv and got to go back and fish as part of his team in the Oak Orchard Open. This time I brought my sister for an observer, who happens to be part of my fishing team in the Finger Lakes. We fished the day before the Oak Orchard Open and caught over 40 fish. 20-25 lb kings, 15 lb steelhead. She had the time of her life! (you should see her facebook page). When it came time for John to pay her, she wanted to pay him! Silver Fox is right, too many people want to do it now. 50 a day and pre fish the day before is a pretty fair start. I did it for the experience, not for the money. (it cost me considerably more than I made) But the relationships that were made as a result- priceless. 

We also let our observer fish with us on Friday. He had never fished the lake before and was excited to give it a try. We let him reel all 30-40 fish we caught and some real nice ones at that. He caught on what was going on very fast. I think and hope he had a great time, I also payed him $100 for gas and what other expenses he had. I also let him know that if he wanted to ever fish again to save my # and I would be happy to take him out again. Fair? I thought so.....

I would say that depending on the situation, most observers observe for the experience and the tips they learn. Not to mention if you get to fish the day before. I observed for Tomahawk (MOTOMAN) at the Wilson Harbor Inv and got to go back and fish as part of his team in the Oak Orchard Open. This time I brought my sister for an observer, who happens to be part of my fishing team in the Finger Lakes. We fished the day before the Oak Orchard Open and caught over 40 fish. 20-25 lb kings, 15 lb steelhead. She had the time of her life! (you should see her facebook page). When it came time for John to pay her, she wanted to pay him! Silver Fox is right, too many people want to do it now. 50 a day and pre fish the day before is a pretty fair start. I did it for the experience, not for the money. (it cost me considerably more than I made) But the relationships that were made as a result- priceless. 

Exactly !!   Well said. I mean the things you can learn and friends you make being an observer are priceless.

I observed for the first time this weekend.  I did it both for the experience and to help out a buddy who has given me some great fishing opportunities.  My pay was perfectly acceptable, covering my gas and expenses for the weekend with enough left over to pay my share for the upcoming Sandy Creek Shootout, grab some BBQ on the way home Sunday and have a little extra spending cash.  You will not get rich doing this.

What was invaluable was getting to meet a great bunch of guys, watch them fish together as a team and compare with my previous (and limited) personal tournament experience.  I've fished last year's Shootout with Jolly, this year's Wilson Harbor Invitational with Silver Fox and I observed Make the Turn at this weekend's Oak Orchard Open.  I've learned quite a bit from each of them and appreciate having been given the chance

Same reason's for me Bob well said :yes: :yes:

On the other side ....back in the days of missing plugs,stuck horns, and pink towels,I have heard some stories of sick observers and the mess they leave behind...he he ..so the guys with nice boats and big money on the line want someone who is reliable and has sea legs....Kinda like to oll" ya get what ya pay for"...but most teams will let observers pre fish if they have tight lips so yer fishing on a boat that might cost ya 600.00 plus for a charter,,, so maybe the observers should pay..........just kidding ....a lot can be learned in a weekend..

What is this throwing up stuff you speak of :D :grin: :D :grin: :D

I observed this past weekend for the 1st time for the Oak Orchard Open for Lucas (Make The Turn) on Scott's Silver Fox boat and having fished a couple Pro Am's back in the day (Team L.O.U.S.E.R.S :puke::rofl:) and competed in the inaugural Sandy Creek Shoot Out, I am not sure I would ever want to observe again. It's TORTURE!  You sit there and can't help, touch a rod or a fish... nothing. I found my self squeezing my hands to make sure I didn't grab anything :sweating:. As much as I enjoy watching others catch fish on my boat or with others on their boats, to not be able to do anything is just crazy :doh: . When we were done on the 2nd day I stood up and Scott said " OK Tom you can grab a rod and reel in it in now"  :D  :D  :D  :D .  I did learn some stuff when It comes to cut bait fishing having done very little of it in the past so that was a plus. Having known Scott for a couple years now but having never fished with him, meeting Gary Begy and learning some stuff from Scott and Gary was a bonus on top of what I was paid.

Scott and the rest of his guys were more than accommodating to me knowing I had a daughter giving birth at any moment, having to work all night sat after observing all day and then be back on the boat by 5am on Sunday knowing I would be tired and making sure I was comfortable on Sunday when It was colder than we all thought :rock: :rock: :rock::yes: .  I would say being on a boat with a lot of room to move around and much more comfortable was nice.

As far as the tournament goes, GREAT JOB! The meeting the day before was quick and covered everything needed. The weigh in was quick. The fact that you fished until 2pm but didn't have to be in line for the weigh in until 3:30pm was nice too so you didn't have 37 boats all rushing the pier heads all at once and if you wanted you could travel a ways a away and not have to pick up early and screw back in.They had computers with a large screen monitor so you could see what was going on during the weigh in which was something I remember I didn't like the way it was done at the Pro Ams I participated in.

I'm sorry Wayne, but to be strait up I think this comment is ridiculous !  Some of the best fishermen on this lake are running smaller boats due to gas savings. Thrillseeker now uses a 25  I think for tournies - so he should pay more for an observer than you by your standards? 

Rod,

I'm just talking from a comfort standpoint. It is much harder "work" to observe on a small boat when there isn't a lot of room and isn't a nice enclosed head (Especially for female observers). I agree size of the boat might not have any correlation to how well the team will do but I'm guessing if a person is open minded enough they will learn something on every boat they fish on. 

P.S. I've been known to say a lot of ridiculous things :)

I have been involved in the tournaments for 30 plus years. Many teams need observers that come from out of town and or ones that are local. I have numerous Captains that call me to arrange for an observer. The going rate with me is $100.00 per day. I think that the people that I get are doing them a favor not the other way around. If they wanted to learn how to fish and get tips they can hire a charter. So I disagree with all that are saying "they should pay us" per say. If the Capt.  didn't have an observer they have to forfeit a team member. It is also time away from family and that is worth something.