Here's a couple more Mac Daddy's from today!

Got five on a sonar and the big one on a Kinchu Minnow. I used to hate these things now I'm having a blast targeting walleye and getting Sheepshead! State record here we come!

Well, that didn't take long! 26.9lbs. 33 inches in length

Prophecy ?

post-147894-0-61912100-1402791690_thumb.jpg

Edited by devoknevo

Great fish! Now I expect to see you and pike freak on eyes....he's had the crash course!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks JTT!

That's exactly how we do it in the bay for eyeball's!

Here is a couple from this weekend one was 30" long no clue on weight the other was about 26"...My father-in-law borrowed my scale but never returned it.

My Buddy's:

20140614_063601_zps5z4q0yul.jpg

Mine:

20140615_094129_zpsoegojr1l.jpg20140615_094254_zpsws3h7z1r.jpg

Wow-d-wow!!  :o  ...Myself, like others, am amazed and love the excitement being driven here about these guys (sheepshead; aka freshwater drum). Always thought they were good fighters and we used to often land some while fishing for the smallies somewhere in the Big O or the Larry (St. Lawrence river). I remember while targeting the smallies with jigs and stickbaits in 20 to 40fow on calm summer days on the big lake watching small groups (maybe 3 or 4)  just under the surface swimming relaxingly around the boat while we were nailing smallies down lower. Some of the incidental sheepies were right there down with the smallies too. Began to associate the 2 species with one another. It makes a lot of sense that they (bass and drum) both would sort of "run" together. When we'd catch them, on light or ultralite tackle, it would always surprise us when we'd catch a sheepie as the fight was almost as good as the smallie. The drum was just a little less crazy energized. But they would fool us. Never will they take to the air like smallies can do. I'd say they are between a smallie and better than the usual largemouth in fighting. Hail to the best freshwater member of the drum (croaker) family, whose many saltwater cousins (speckled trout [weakfish or squeteague], black drum, red drum [redfish]...and others) have long been cherished by anglers worldwide....... ;)     BTW, another thought.....maybe this is an "up" season for them, much like it has in recent seasons been a somewhat "down" one for the smallies...... :wondering:      

We went out last night and noticed that the flock of seagulls that were following the huge alewife balls in the bay were gone! Went up to the north part of the bay were the alewives were boiling in our prop wash and nothing! Which explained why we only got one drum! So I think smacking them like we have been is over! We'll stick get a few but ten every trip is done for the year I'm thinking, could be wrong though. Gonna start concentrating on the walleyes and if I get a drum in the mix that's fine with me.

Get your FREAK on!!

Well, I guess its over then.

No more Sheepshead fishing for you !

....but seriously  PFreak, we'll miss seeing you following us around the Bay!

Edited by devoknevo