Ok, so let me ask this. I've eaten puppy drum (redfish) which is a salt water fish. What's the deal with the freshwater drum? Is it an edible fish, or just like a carp?

My son and I caught a nice small one.  Maybe 18".  Filleted it and cooked it up with perch and walleyes.  Taste is similar and the texture is more firm.  We will do it again but throw back the big ones as I've yet to taste a huge fish that wasn't a bit strong.  The chowder idea is perfect and I'm glad you mentioned it.   

Are they bottom feeders like carp?  I mean I have never caught a carp on a stick bait while trolling but have caught a ton of sheephead. I would assume they eat other bait fish if they are slamming lures.

I've been told they are a fresh water drum. I'm guessing they aren't if they are so aggressive on the stick baits. All are suspended in deeper water.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Are they bottom feeders like carp?  I mean I have never caught a carp on a stick bait while trolling but have caught a ton of sheephead. I would assume they eat other bait fish if they are slamming lures.

Carp arent bottom feeders only! I caught a monster carp trolling eyes/tigers 30 down over 60fow on a tdd11 and the entire bait was engulfed...both trebles! Best fight ive ever had by far, and that includes a 40lb striper and some tigers over 20lbs. I cant find the pic, but I posted it in the walleye forum last august.

Great catch pikefreak!! Noticed in the pic you fish from a pontoon also...mine is now custom for trolling in the stern and set up to cast on the bow.

Yes they are freshwater drum. Opportunistic feeders- i have caught them bottom fishing with crayfish/worms and also trolling spoons out in the lake. I know they also feed on zebra mussels (i have seen the shells hanging out of their @$$). Think i will pass on eating one... Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

post-146412-0-50727900-1401828452_thumb.jpgI agree with justtracytrolling. Just caught this one on a white fluke with a 1 ounce jighead. I assume she was feeding on some of the sawbellies which are all over the place. Fight was the best ever. Nice sheephead , never caught one.